• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

device has been modified

adnan1234

Jul 31, 2013
I used some photos recovery software that was installed in my pc and I had to connect my fone via data cable and during the process of recovery, the software restarted my fone twice or thrice and now Device status shows custom and I cant update the device as it says "your device has been modified. Software updates are not available"
I haven't got a memory card and I have tried factory reset and cache clearing but it hasn't helped... did that software root my fone? Whats the possible solution?

Hi

The software may have rooted (and maybe unrooted again) your phone. Your problem could be that the "flash counter" has been triggered. Its Samsungs way of knowing if your phone has been messed about with. If you let us know exactly what software you used, someone may be able to help. It can probably be fixed.

Roger

Reactions: adnan1234
Upvote 0
I have the same error. Says "modified" on an unrooted Galaxy S3 I9300.

Want to update the firmware but says "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."

Phone is currently running 4.1.2 stock

Can't connect to Kies to do the update because it gives me the whole "connecting" for eternity problem which I can't solve even though the PC can see the phone and I can copy files to and from it. (Windows 7 64bit)
No MTA driver problems (fixed those already using solutions given elsewhere)

I also had used Dr Fone to try some data recovery and it seems that it has affected the ability to do OTA updates. Can anyone provide a resolution? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I went to the site to see what "Dr. Fone" Is all about.
Quick look, it appears to be some serious data recovery software.
It claims to be able to recover files like texts and photos after having been deleted, flashed, or factory reset.

My first thought is that if a program can achieve this, it would need uncompromised access to the phones internal memory for "forensic analysis", which is at a different level then the OS. This is way beyond any level the average consumer would usually have access to.

My guess is: To gain this type of access, the program uses exploits and such to access this section of the phones memory, which in turn could trigger the system flags. So yes, the program probably Is to blame.

Not sure if that can be corrected with the program designer, manufacturer, or carrier, but you can try. Most of them are quick to wash their hands of a warranty claim if they have an out.

Reactions: rawhk
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones