• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dial up internet using Android

You mean the old fashioned way, when we used to use serial and/or parallel to connect a brick like cellphone to a computer, which then would work as a dial-up modem. I think tethering, via WiFi, BlueTooth and USB have basically replaced that way of connecting to the internet. Anyway Android devices, and most PCs don't have parallel or serial ports.

Upvote 0
I remember spending the extra coin to get a phone with an IR blaster just for that purpose, given most laptops had an IR port standard at the time.

I was doing that as well, with a works issued Nokia 6310 and a Panasonic Toughbook laptop. Coupling the phone to the computer with IrDA and using it as a dial-up modem to call-up their database system while out in the field.....go 9600 baud!!!

Upvote 0
Not to be a jerk, but why would you want to do such a thing?
I am trying to host a server in pc using mobile as my modem. In USB tethering, mobile device act as a router and you have enable port forwarding to forward TCP requests to the server. My constraint doesn't allow that. But in DUN, the ip assigned by your ISP will be directly allocated to you PC, so need to go for port forwarding.

Upvote 0
I think my question is misleading. I am not talking about the dial up internet (as in dial-up vs Broadband). I am talking about connecting to internet using your phone as a network modem by creating a dial up PPP connection. I have a wireless broadband dongle with me but still the way it connect to internet is by dial up ppp protocol. I talking about that..

Upvote 0
Why do all that when you can simply tether and get better speeds?

Because you may want to be connecting with a system that's not on the public internet, you're connecting to a computer that has modem that auto-answers, like old-school BBS systems. AFAIK cellphones and carriers don't support this anymore. This is something I used to do with the Nokia via IrDA I posted about earlier. It dialled a certain number and I was connected to the office system at 9600 baud, no GPRS or EDGE here. It was IBM CICS that I was connecting to, using a VT100 terminal emulator on the laptop, so 9600 was plenty enough.

Banks still use dial-up modems and POTS(Plain Old Telephone System) for their remote ATMs, the ones you might find in bars and convenience stores, because private leased lines would be too expensive and unnecessary, and the last thing that anyone wants is ATMs full of cash out on the public internet. BTW most ATMs are using Windows XP, so we absolutely do not want them on the internet...LOL.

Upvote 0
Has anyone considered this;
A mobile phone call could be made to a Dial-Up ISP, and the tones of that conversation could be interpreted as a Dial-Up connection. The transmission of data in two ways could be achieved by inputting tones via a simulated microphone, and receiving tones via a virtual speaker. The connection could then be served to the rest of the device as a viable Dial-Up connection, using the already existing cellular interface within the device. This could be especially beneficial to individuals incapable of receiving an internet connection due to government prohibition or lack of communications infrastructure due to various reasons.

Now that I have provided the abstract, why don't some of you time-rich intelligent little cookies go ahead and cook this up? I don't mind if it is only feasible on a rooted device, I only mind that those that are in need, have a rich plethora of options to remedy their various situations. Everybody deserves global communications technology. It is what will redeem us going into the future, if we are to have any chance of rectifying the black holes society has developed over time.

Yours sincerely, Danny Alexander Masterson. AKA. Dax.

Upvote 0
Are you serious? A fortune? It's software. And software leveraging existing hardware at that. If we can interpret fax tones on a mobile phone, we can interpret dial-up. And furthermore, the fact we can send a fax on a mobile phone is an additional point score towards feasibility. Plus, many french (and other) ISPs offer free dial-up connections. I am just thinking about situations like where the Egyptian government tried to cut all internet to it's population, and hackers managed to communicate free dial-up connections to the populace so that digital media could be streamed out of the kill zones.

Upvote 0
Has anyone considered this;
A mobile phone call could be made to a Dial-Up ISP, and the tones of that conversation could be interpreted as a Dial-Up connection. The transmission of data in two ways could be achieved by inputting tones via a simulated microphone, and receiving tones via a virtual speaker. The connection could then be served to the rest of the device as a viable Dial-Up connection, using the already existing cellular interface within the device. This could be especially beneficial to individuals incapable of receiving an internet connection due to government prohibition or lack of communications infrastructure due to various reasons.

Now that I have provided the abstract, why don't some of you time-rich intelligent little cookies go ahead and cook this up? I don't mind if it is only feasible on a rooted device, I only mind that those that are in need, have a rich plethora of options to remedy their various situations. Everybody deserves global communications technology. It is what will redeem us going into the future, if we are to have any chance of rectifying the black holes society has developed over time.

Yours sincerely, Danny Alexander Masterson. AKA. Dax.
This is what I am planning to do, settings up a server on the cloud ☁️ with 60-100TB Internet bandwidth connection, then àssign various telephone numbers to my android users to do call callback or call through via WhatsApp. Especially in Africa where bandwidth cost too much.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure dialup is still a thing.
Is AOL still around?
Feasible but AOL had really deep funding.
It would cost a fortune to develop.
AOL still exists, but their dialup service and online software EOL'd sometime in 2015. They still have AOL.com email addresses as my girlfriend recently created one. the website aol.com is still up, but I think is owned by Time Warner? I think one can still use AIM via a third party hack of some kind. A few years ago, someone tried to recreate the America Online service via Java as a sort of throwback similar to the old net, but it never got out of alpha.

LGR had a fun time messing around with it before it EOL'd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones