• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help disable emergency alerts on 5.1.1? (unlocked xperia z5)

jml

Lurker
Mar 10, 2016
I've been all over Google and can't find an answer to my particular scenario. I just bought an unlocked Sony Xperia Z5 compact that is now running Android 5.1.1, unrooted and on T-Mobile (but AFAIK T-Mo hasn't pushed anything to the phone). I can't figure out how to disable emergency alerts; there is a dedicated Emergency Alerts app, but if I go into it there's no menu. The only thing that displays in it is an Amber Alert that I got last night that I can't dismiss or interact with in any way that I can figure out. Any suggestions? I've tried all the other options I could find, there's nothing in the wireless and network menus about disabling the alerts, and I can't find anything in the help, either.

EDIT: I just found Settings->Sound & Notifications->App Notifications, and there is an option in there to block all notifications from Emergency Alerts. I'm fine with that if it will really shut it up, but all of the older posts I could find said that there was a way to enable some alerts (weather, "critical") and disable others (Amber Alerts). Am I missing something?

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones