• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disable OTA updates

jdub22

Jul 8, 2014
I'm running Jellybean still and do not want to update to KitKat. So I had to figure out how to disable the Software Update notification.

I saw several discussions where people said to freeze the app called Google Service Framework but this will cause problems such as Google Drive and Google Play Store will no longer run. I couldn't find anything specific for how to do this for the Desire 601.

But this method works! I believe you need to be rooted for this to work.

Here are the steps:
1) Download the System Tuner app (or similar app)
2) Using System Tuner, find the application called Updater and Freeze it.

That's it! Your phone should never check for software updates now. If you want to revert it, just un-freeze the Updater application.

Reactions: scary alien
Thanks, glad to be of help!

scary alien said:
You've got to be rooted to freeze an app, though, correct?

That's my understanding right now. But I know you can disable apps when not rooted. So I wonder if there's a way to disable the Updater app while unrooted.

In other words: If the Updater app is hidden until you root, then I don't see any other way to disable it.

Upvote 0
But I know you can disable apps when not rooted. So I wonder if there's a way to disable the Updater app while unrooted.

In other words: If the Updater app is hidden until you root, then I don't see any other way to disable it.

I'd assume you'd have to be rooted to disable a system app like the updater...(I've seen the disable feature on a few devices, but as far as I know, they're just for the added "bloatware" that sometimes gets added by the carrier).

I'm thinking we should move this thread to the all-things-root area if you don't mind me doing that?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones