• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do cantennas work or are they a gimmick?

So I gave my friend my old android without any contract ties (straight talk) and installed a few apps for her like Pinger and KIK. Her apartment is close to the local library and while it can get the signal, it's very weak and drops often, and isn't strong enough for a phone call, and texts arrive hours late, if they even do.
Would a cantenna increase the signal for her? She can grab WiFi at school and such but doesn't have a strong enough one in her apartment. (And though I said it's a straight talk phone, she's not able to pay for a card, thus needing WiFi) If you need more details, let me know.

Hmm. I've heard of and seen a cantenna used on a pc but never with a phone.

I can't give you a definite answer as I don't know for sure, but I don't know how you would/could use one with a phone... Not sure if it's possible.

If it is possible, it seems like it would defeat the purpose of a mobile as it would severely handicap mobility...

Sorry I don't have a definite answer but my person opinion is that I don't think it will work or at the very least, be practical.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones