• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you need to have mobile data to use GPS?

After breaking my current MetroPCS phone , I am considering jumping on the Moto X with Republic. Seems like an unbelievable deal. Trying to decide what I can live with for a plan. I am on wifi everywhere these days (home, work, starbucks, grocery store, target etc) and most of the time when I'm not on wifi I'm off in the wilderness with no cell coverage of any kind. But I do like to use Google maps and turn by turn in the car. Will that work without a data plan?

If you set Google Maps to "cache" maps, it will function pretty well without a data connection. If you just run out into the wilderness without first caching the map data, you'll only be able to mark your location/trail... without any map for reference.

If having navigation available while out of range of data is important, there are several apps out there that work like a stand-alone program... essentially turning your phone into a Tom-Tom/Garmin.

Speaking of which... as a person who does some traveling / flying (I'm also a pilot) into some of the most remote places in the US, I'd just go pick up a cheap Garmin with Lifetime Map Updates. It'll always work wherever you are regardless of mobile data connection. You can get them mighty cheap now. And when/if your phone ever goes "duh" on you because it doesn't have the info it needs, you can whip out the Garmin and safely carry on. I keep mine in the glovebox.

Upvote 0
If you set Google Maps to "cache" maps, it will function pretty well without a data connection. If you just run out into the wilderness without first caching the map data, you'll only be able to mark your location/trail... without any map for reference.

If having navigation available while out of range of data is important, there are several apps out there that work like a stand-alone program... essentially turning your phone into a Tom-Tom/Garmin.

Speaking of which... as a person who does some traveling / flying (I'm also a pilot) into some of the most remote places in the US, I'd just go pick up a cheap Garmin with Lifetime Map Updates. It'll always work wherever you are regardless of mobile data connection. You can get them mighty cheap now. And when/if your phone ever goes "duh" on you because it doesn't have the info it needs, you can whip out the Garmin and safely carry on. I keep mine in the glovebox.

Cool. Good advice. My wife uses an iphone app for hiking gps that works offline so I'm sure there are plenty of android apps. Haven't owned a GPS unit in years but I guess they are cheaper now that that people use phone or ones that come with cars

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones