• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does hotspot work on ATT phone?

Self Made

Aug 4, 2012
USA
I got a Moto X a while ago and just tried to turn on the hotspot feature now. It won't turn on and gives me the message "Network connection error: Your phone cannot currently connect to AT&T's server...."
My phone is an XT1097 (ATT) on Cricket (an ATT brand).

I had an unlocked Nexus before. Did I make a mistake getting an AT&T model instead of an unlocked one, and this feature will just never work on an ATT phone?

I accidentally bought an ATT Moto X instead of an unlocked one, not thinking there would be any difference. But, unlike my old Nexus phone, this one doesn't want to turn on the hotspot feature. Does ATT block it, and is there any workaround for it (e.g. an app)? Hotspot is important to me when I travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it working here on an unlocked Moto X. I had to add 'dun' to the APN Type in the APN settings before it would work. Other than that, all I have to do is enable hotspot in settings for it to work.

I'll have to test this out to see, I know last time I checked, my hotspots didn't work, I also tried it with FoxFi and could not get it to work.

Upvote 0
When I had an att phone on cricket hotspot nor FoxFi worked.. FoxFi USB tethering worked but not WiFi..

Unfortunately I could never get USB tethering to work with my Chromebook as it didn't have the drivers

Now I only purchase factory phones online and don't deal with carrier phones..

All my factory phones work with hotspot out of the box

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
I have it working here on an unlocked Moto X. I had to add 'dun' to the APN Type in the APN settings before it would work. Other than that, all I have to do is enable hotspot in settings for it to work.

How did you exactly do this, I tried and did not work, maybe missing a step here.

Upvote 0
OP here: a Pure Edition Moto X works fine for hotspotting.

I replaced my AT&T phone with a Pure Edition and hotspot started up fine. Speed when my desktop connects to the hotspot seems almost equal to my Comcast line, for web surfing at least.

I just got my Moto X Pure and the hotspot wouldn't work until I called AT&T. My APN setting was fine but they had to change some stuff on their end. I came from a Microsoft phone. Hotspot working fine now.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to warn everyone, cricket is sending warnings to those using hotspot.. happened to several friends of mine

Figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread

That's what happens when you don't alter your traffic so it appears to be from your phone. People go around buying Verzion phones and putting them on Cricket because Hotspot works out of the box 99% of the time. People don't realize that Android marks tethered traffic so it's more than obvious that someone is being tethered.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones