• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 4 Factory Reset Itself

I went to sleep, phone was charging. I woke up and it was wiped. The only thing left on it was my photos and downloaded files. No home screen, no contacts, no texts, no call logs, nothing.

I really hope there is some way to go back to my stuff, as I am a little lax on backing up data.

How do I prevent this from happening again?

I googled and it looks like this has happened to some other people on other devices but no resolutions. It fixed itself on one lucky dude's phone. I don't have a lock screen so I don't think it was a security measure...

If it was a security measure, your photos and downloaded files would be gone, but the launcher (the homescreen) would still be there. It sounds like a flaky motherboard.

I haven't worked on a Motorola in about 10 years, so I don't know what software they're using these days, but there might be a program to run on the computer to back up pictures.

If it's a flaky motherboard, about the only thing you can do to prevent it from happening again is to replace the motherboard.

Try one thing first, though - safe boot. See How to boot your phone into Safe Mode. (Scroll down to Droid.) If that fixes things, there's an app you installed that's causing a problem.

Upvote 0
It was far more likely that it was caused by a single memory upset, as may occur with a power fluctuation during charging.

It's very rare but it happens, it's happened to me.

Android is well sandboxed. Unless you explicitly granted admin access to a rogue app, chances of this being caused by an incursion are basically nil.

Once you restore your Google account info, anything that you had backed up automatically to Google will reappear. Wait a good 20 minutes to see what downloads.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones