• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 4 having stroke

Ldlangley

Lurker
Jul 26, 2014
3 months left on Verizon contract and my D4 has lost its mind. Screen is flashing, switching screens, taking random screen shots, can't text and calls drop as the phone randomly shuts off. Have done a factory reboot, cleared caches and NOTHING is working. I'm not technologically savvy, so if anyone out there has a suggestion, please give it to me step-by-step. Verizon has said there is nothing they can do for me until my contract is up. To their credit, they said it very nicely.

Thom-- Thank you. Nope, didn't drop it anywhere. It just started being weird on its own. I'm using the charger cord that came with the phone and my battery reads charged. I've done a factory reset and have cleared caches and dumped all my apps. Still going stupid. Speaking of stupid, I'm not sure what root-ed means. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Safe Mode disables all apps that you added without uninstalling them. If the problems disappear in Safe Mode then they are caused by an app(s) that you added.

From the Verizon website (I have an X, Bionic, and Maxx but no 4) ...

Enable Safe Mode
Power the device off.
linote.gif
Press and hold the Power button, select Power off, then select OK.
Slide the keyboard open.
Press and hold the OK key.
Press the Power button.
Continue to hold the OK key until 'Safe Mode' appears in the lower left of screen.

Disable Safe Mode
Power the device off.
linote.gif
Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
Power the device on.
linote.gif
Press the Power button.

(Yours seems like a hardware problem and quite possibly your battery is just dying.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thom--Thank you for explaining that to me. I did what you instructed, and it worked for about a minute and then the wallpaper screen flashed up, the home screen started bouncing around and the problems came right back. Battery reads fully charged. Do I need an exorcist? A blood sacrifice? Perhaps dropping it in the toilet would help?
ldlangley

Upvote 0
I'm 90 days away from up-grade eligibility and their early upgrade plan requires trade-in of a WORKING phone. My phone is out of warranty, so I'm stuck. Someone suggested I talk to Best Buy and see what they might be able to do as far as up-grade/replacement.
I appreciate all your help, Thom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones