• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid to get Gingerbread?!?! - Android OS 3.0

I still don't get what "problems" people are having with 2.2? I'm thinking some of y'all have some bad apps on the phone because my 2.2 is issue-free (knock on wood). But as far as 3.0 on the D1, the only way we're getting it is through a custom ROM and likely a pared down one at that. The RAM requirements just simply aren't there. I think the dude at the VZW store was hopefully (but ignorantly) optimistic. I laughed a little when you said the "tech" guy at VZW. There aren't any tech guys at VZW; they barely know how to port numbers over from one phone to another.

What proof do you have that we will never get an official Gingerbread released on the Droid? As of now, it is pure speculation. As has been said many times, there is not a 512 MB RAM requirement, it is simply the recommended RAM for Gingerbread. No offence, but saying that just makes me think you are the ignorant one in this case o_O

Upvote 0
Only time will tell my friends. Lol, sad but true. This is what hurts imo, is people get new phones, and by the end of the first year, they are obsolete and supposidly not getting any ota updates. Verizon would about have to do something for an update, as there are thousands, possibly millions of D1 users in the US. I bet Verizon won't care anynore, they just want the iphone.

Upvote 0
Do you think that, after releasing it with an underclocked CPU, Verizon will ever admit that the D1 can actually run well at 1GHz? NO WAY.

I DO believe that Pete, BlackDroid and others WILL take the best of Gingerbread and port it to the Droid, so we will have all the goodness without Verizon's input and limitations. I am very confident that a Gingerbread custom ROM will come out for the Droid, but Verizon has already announced EOL for us so we're being left in the dust as far as they're concerned. It hearkens back to the days of my LG Dare, when we all waited and waited for a v07 update that just never came.

That's okay, though: I only need Verizon for its towers, anyway. The less they have to do with my phone's operating system, the better :)

Reactions: sooper_droid12
Upvote 0
What proof do you have that we will never get an official Gingerbread released on the Droid? As of now, it is pure speculation. As has been said many times, there is not a 512 MB RAM requirement, it is simply the recommended RAM for Gingerbread. No offence, but saying that just makes me think you are the ignorant one in this case o_O

What's "pure speculation" is that Gingerbread is even coming to the D1. You should have stopped reading the original post after the OP said, "a tech support guy said..." Those "tech support guys" have proven to know less than the average tech forum lurker. As far as I know, there hasn't been any news to refute the claim that devices will need to have a 1GHz processor and at least 512MB of RAM to run Gingerbread due to the enhancements and additions being made to Android. At this point, for you to "claim" that it is a "recommendation" rather than "requirement" is just as ignorant as my "claim" because there isn't much information about Gingerbread period.

But me thinks that since you responded so strongly to the whole ignorant thing... wait, are you? Are you the tech support guy that the OP was talking to!?!? :eek:

At any rate, you only need to look at the latest rumored device that's supposed to be getting Gingerbread: Motorola's Tegra2 Android device (aka Terminator). The device is purported to be running a duo-core Tegra2 chip. Based on the current trends of smartphones, it'll be running at least 512MB of RAM. There are simply no modern, high-end smartphones running less than half-gig memory.

Here's what Gingerbread is supposed to bring:

- Support for WebM video playback
- Improved copy–paste functionality
- Improved social networking features
- Android Market music store
- Media streaming from PC library
- Revamped UI
- Support for bigger screens with up to Wide XGA (1366

Upvote 0
What's "pure speculation" is that Gingerbread is even coming to the D1. You should have stopped reading the original post after the OP said, "a tech support guy said..." Those "tech support guys" have proven to know less than the average tech forum lurker. As far as I know, there hasn't been any news to refute the claim that devices will need to have a 1GHz processor and at least 512MB of RAM to run Gingerbread due to the enhancements and additions being made to Android. At this point, for you to "claim" that it is a "recommendation" rather than "requirement" is just as ignorant as my "claim" because there isn't much information about Gingerbread period.

But me thinks that since you responded so strongly to the whole ignorant thing... wait, are you? Are you the tech support guy that the OP was talking to!?!? :eek:

At any rate, you only need to look at the latest rumored device that's supposed to be getting Gingerbread: Motorola's Tegra2 Android device (aka Terminator). The device is purported to be running a duo-core Tegra2 chip. Based on the current trends of smartphones, it'll be running at least 512MB of RAM. There are simply no modern, high-end smartphones running less than half-gig memory.

Here's what Gingerbread is supposed to bring:

- Support for WebM video playback
- Improved copy–paste functionality
- Improved social networking features
- Android Market music store
- Media streaming from PC library
- Revamped UI
- Support for bigger screens with up to Wide XGA (1366

Upvote 0
It might. There doesn't seem to be any official hardware requirements for the next iteration.

If it isn't officially released for the Droid, it'll be the source for the build of a future ROM.

Your VZW rep doesn't know shit. Never listen to them.

My verizon rep, is not a "rep." Regardless, I completely agree with the doubtful sentiment that is perpetually construed on this board. I share those feelings...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones