• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropped Data Connection AFTER call (T-Mobile)

Dagr

Nov 27, 2011
Has anyone been experiencing dropped data connections after completing a call? (I am primarily connected to t-mobile service, checked via various apps for strength, etc, so this should not be the simultaneous voice/data issues with Sprint).

I actually don't mind that much except for the fact that after the call it sometimes takes a LONG time to reconnect to a data service. This is the part that is frustrating since you can't really do anything until it reconnects (for example if you want to call someone else, or check texts, etc, etc).

Anyway, all in all I'm pleased with Project Fi so far... and hope it continues to improve / mature.

EDIT: I'm using a Nexus 6p.

nexus 6 from motorola checking in.

i guess I need to ask how long have you had the fi service and how long have you had the phone?

did this happen on day one of service?
day one of acquiring the phone?

i guess it does not happen on the chance you may be on sprint?

I have not seen this issue on the nexus 6. now believe it or not, when I had an htc one max, sprint spark was just becoming an item and so sometimes out here in LA i would wander onto a spark freq and i could not make a call or even get data until i power cycled the device. this was noted from other sprint spark users in other parts of the country and as the firmware updated in certain base stations to accommodate certain devices, this issue slowly faded away.

and are you rooted by chance? some roms have certain radio freqs that the standard non rooted devices dont have, so that could be an issue if you are rooted.

if you are stock, and this just occurred, it could be a temp thing.

if this has been happening for a long time now, I would say its not normal and you should reach out to fi reps to inquire.

if you are not already, it may be better to also cross post this on the fi google + page. they have active google folks there who can help and a broader base of users who may not know if this site.

keep the class posted on what you find my good man...

Reactions: Dagr
Upvote 0
So... from what I have gathered it appears that this all has to do with VoLTE (or lack therof). I believe the scenario is that I'm on T-Mo LTE, and then when a call comes in it drops me to 3G for voice. What I've been noticing is that it then takes a little longer than I would expect to reconnect to LTE after the call is complete (and in which time I do not have data).

I think a lot of this will be solved when & if VoLTE becomes more prevelant on the T-Mobile & Sprint networks / the Nexus 6p. I know T-Mobile supports it, but from what I can gather, Project Fi does not currently utilize VoLTE.

My usage is (at least) consistent. I've been pleased overall with the ProjectFi coverage in my somewhat rural / urban area, so it's not a huge deal for me.

(What is bugging me more is that I can't seem to get Hangouts / ProjectFi SMS to work with my new Ford vehicle Sync 3... it just won't recognize SMS... and even setting the default app back to Messenger doesn't seem to help (my incoming SMS still goes to Hangouts for some reason!)... .but that's another issue entirely!! ; )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones