• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

eclipse video sensitivity?

hstroph

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2012
I'd like to use a Nexus 6P to video the total solar eclipse on August 21 2017. The idea I have is to use a tripod to allow video tracking since well before totality at my location, until well after when a large part of the bright solar disc is again visible.

Would any of this cause damage to the Nexus 6P camera or display, please?

The general guidance is to not point any camera directly at the sun without a solar filter. The imaging sensor works by being sensitive to light, and overloading it can permanently decrease that sensitivity. You'd probably be fine to just take a photo or two, but if you're planning on shooting a long video or (worse) using external magnification then I would strongly recommend picking up some solar filter material as cheap insurance.

Your screen will be fine, though. It can only be so bright. :)

Upvote 0
I'd like to use a Nexus 6P to video the total solar eclipse on August 21 2017. The idea I have is to use a tripod to allow video tracking since well before totality at my location, until well after when a large part of the bright solar disc is again visible.

Would any of this cause damage to the Nexus 6P camera or display, please?
I'd like to "bump" this topic please, to help those with the 14 Oct 2023 annular eclipse.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones