• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Emergency Alerts on Lock Screen tied to Sleep Time??

dallas77us

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
Since I got my Oreo X4 three weeks ago, I noticed the emergency alerts appear in a white panel floating on the lock screen needing an OK tap to close them out and sending the phone back to sleep in the usual 10-12 seconds. Obviously, emergency alerts render quite differently from app notifications.

I hadn't given it much thought on the one Amber and a flash flood alert I'd received so far but I did notice the second flash flood alert had the screen lit up for several minutes until I got around to the OK. (The two flash flooders were an anomaly here in the SW desert, the result of a tropical storm rolling in from the Pacific.)

Because it's still so new, I have Sleep set at fifteen minutes and I didn't think of dropping it to my usual two for today's Presidential test alert. So there I was nine minutes into the fifteen when (of course) I had to answer a call.

Anyhow, I can't imagine these Emergency alerts would keep the screen lit up until the battery runs down. Like when it's at 10% and forgetting it in the living room as I sack out for the night.

Search engines have been no use. Even if notifications and 911 are excluded and boolean'd up the wazoo, they can't return anything but zillions for those for every version of Android there ever was.

• As it might be quite some time to the next alert, can anyone confirm positively the lit up alert screen will Sleep upon reaching the minutes chosen in Settings?

If not, I'll have to disable Emergency alerts.

Thank you!

Unforgiven:

Thanks.

• What's your Sleep setting at?

If it's one less than a minute or two, that might be why you never noticed the screen staying on.

(I had mine at 15 minutes initially as I was learning v8.1 much as I had to learn 7 after using 6 which I had to learn after using 4. The second time the X4 timed out while I was on my desktop PC googling something about it, I bumped it up. That said, the search bar in Settings is a refreshing surprise. Like, entering "eme" will get you to the Emergency settings faster than drilling down for it.)

Upvote 0
That's revealing. Based on our anecdotal experiences, it would seem the emergency alerts screen time-outs could be determined by the time setting in Sleep.

Empirically, I'll need to wait on the next threat, safety or AMBER alert to observe my 2 minute time-out. Morbid as that is. And if I'm in earshot of the phone. Sigh.

That said, my query is still open: Can anyone confirm positively the lit up alert screen will Sleep upon reaching the minutes chosen in Settings?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones