• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [EVO 3D CDMA - Help Thread] S-Off Wire Trick Brick (QHSUSB_DLOAD)

Alixxx123

Mar 19, 2015
This thread is created to help some people out with the so called "brick" issue when trying to perform the wire trick using ControlBear. I will explain my methods on how I fixed this and encourage anyone else to add input on possible solutions. The more we know, the greater the solution.

• By following any instructions on this thread you take full responsibility of any damage and issues that will result. By doing so you agree to not hold anyone else accountable. Do not attempt any procedures in this thread unless you are aware of this.

For anyone who are looking for instructions on how to gain root or s-off, this is not the thread for you but I included links at the bottom.

So I spent a good two insomnia filled nights working on obtaining root access and s-off status on my device and the root was easy with some trouble but doing the wire trick to gain s-off not only caught me off guard and confused me, it scared the begizus out of me. I did the RUU flash, re-rooted and re-unlocked my bootloader, then I went to share a few drinks with my Evo and it apparently turns out to be a heavier drinker than I thought. Anyway so I went to do the wire trick and gave it a couple beers. Then I heard my Phone unplug and plug back in [reboot]. I was happy, it seemed to be doing what I needed it to so I took off the wire and it got pissed and went into some weird QHSUSB_DLOAD hissy fit and shut off. My screen was black, no sign of life except the "QHSUSB_DLOAD" in my device manager. So I started freaking, can't blame a guy for getting pissed at seemingly two days of work and no sleep for nothing right? The worst part is I couldn't find a single solution online except for using a Linux computer to redo it. Which I literally just got rid of like last month lol my luck. So two hours of searching I gave up and I tried being creative.

• This is where I tell you its not a brick, your phones just a drunk who needs to be played with. So try the following like I have.

Method 1

- Take out the battery and wait 3 minutes while pressing the power button to exert any electricity then reinsert and hold volume (-) and tap the power button for half a second. No boot? Move along!

- Take out the battery and SD this time and only reinsert the battery. Try volume (-) and power again. It should boot you into boot loader again. Yay.

- Close the ControlBear program again and reopen it. It will reload where it disconnected from the previous run and for me it said it failed but you may get lucky. If not, relaunch the program and keep trying until it succeeds. You will notice you are really just feeding your phone's appetite for beer the whole time and you need to basically get it drunk to get it to s-off.

The following method can be tried too, instead of removing the SD, I honestly think the "brick" is not a brick at all, just the halfway point in the wire trick process.

Method 2

- Make sure your Evo 3D is plugged up to the computer and "QHSUSB_DLOAD" is shown in device manager. This is how you know your phone is connected. Also make sure ControlBear is running, it will probably tell you device not found or some shiz. Turn the volume up on your PC.

- Make sure the SD card is inserted! Perform the wire trick by putting one end of the wire in the outer hole and tap the metal SD card slot twice and then press down on it again until you hear you PC reconnect your phone, this means the device is not in "QHSUSB_DLOAD" anymore but back in android sdk mode again. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying the procedure until you hear the phone reconnect.

- ControlBear will reload where it disconnected from the previous run and for me it said it failed but you may get lucky. If not, relaunch the program and keep trying until it succeeds. You will notice you are really just feeding your phone's appetite for beer the whole time and you need to basically get it drunk to get it to s-off.

Rooting and S-Off sources.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=2NTaECGOc7x-ss4K7uDqWw&bvm=bv.95039771,d.b2w

http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-root-evo-3d-2-08-651-2-and-later-htc-unlock-method/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=KeRq3ct2YIcYo8sncGQsZg&bvm=bv.95039771,d.b2w

Glad you got that sorted!

Moved your thread to the Evo 3D root forum.

I still have mine, used the first s-off method for it so I had easy.
?Yep, I recently obtained my own from a friend and the hard part in rooting it was finding a way to downgrade the software build to the appropriate one for the methods used but idek if this pertains to people anymore, I just saw a lot of folks had problems and I couldn't find anything on an actual fix. And then I realized All it needed was more beer...

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones