• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Expandable storage (Micro SD) limit

Nope, don't agree, I ruined a 32card with NTFS until I learned that above 32 gb it's best with exfat. I have 3- 64's and 1 32 all formatted in exfat.
http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...memory-card,-flash-drive-or-device-using-a-pc
All that link says is what Sandisk cards come formatted as out of the package.

While NTFS may increase read-writes, it's fine to use on flash cards permanently attached to a Windows OS. But anyway, what format is best is besides the point, which is NTFS does not impact the reliability of a capacity test such as the one done by h2testw.

Upvote 0
All that link says is what Sandisk cards come formatted as out of the package.

While NTFS may increase read-writes, it's fine to use on flash cards permanently attached to a Windows OS. But anyway, what format is best is besides the point, which is NTFS does not impact the reliability of a capacity test such as the one done by h2testw.

Guess you didn't read the page. That's O.K. by me, I say 32+gb sd cards suffer from NTFS format. Take it leave it,I told you I burned a 32 with NTFS. As far as the China sd cards go, we'll see, I'm insured anyway. I get my money back no matter what, because my charge card insures any purchase I make

Upvote 0
Guess you didn't read the page. That's O.K. by me, I say 32+gb sd cards suffer from NTFS format...

No, I did. Nowhere does it say NTFS should not be used with SD cards. Perhaps it's not optimal in terms of longevity, but again, that's besides the point -- which is NTFS will not impact the reliability of an h2testw test.

If one is concerned about longevity, I think it might be riskier -- or at least as risky -- to use an unbranded card with potentially inferior parts than to choose a format like NTFS.

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
I contacted wish and told them and asked for refund. They said to send them a picture showing the results to proceed.
So now i have H2testw running on another of the 3 cards but left this one as exfat.

It is reccomemded not to use ntfs on flash memory because the increased writes can reduce the lifespan thats why they say to use fat32 for flash memory on windows applications unless you need the extra security of ntfs.

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
b78487ddd021637047ee39f4b8b394dd.jpg

This is the exfat formatted card. I just gave up on it ever finishing reading it. After it passed 7.8gb verifyed the read speed dropped to a super slow 600 to 700 kb/s

Same thing on the first card but it only hit 7.3gb before it went to crap.

I already put my 32gb sandisk ultra back in my phone.

Upvote 0
b78487ddd021637047ee39f4b8b394dd.jpg

This is the exfat formatted card. I just gave up on it ever finishing reading it. After it passed 7.8gb verifyed the read speed dropped to a super slow 600 to 700 kb/s

Same thing on the first card but it only hit 7.3gb before it went to crap.

I already put my 32gb sandisk ultra back in my phone.

Let us know how Wish does returning your money. I'll let you know about how the cards I get work.

Upvote 0
I need help. I have had my of style for about a month now along with my 64 gb sd card and just recently about 3 days ago when I tried to take a picture it said "failure to write file" I don't have anything saved to my sd card either. Anything I can do to fix that or what the problem is?
I'm seeing too much of this lately.
Fix/repair/format the card in a Windows computer, then you'll be good to go.
Ensure the switch in the sd adapter is not set to write protect.

Reactions: Dandan12345
Upvote 0
I could be wrong but shouldn't you format the card in android? I was told a couple years back that was the best way to do it (format it on the device you intend to use it on) for better stability.

I was told that when i had an issue with a card i formatted in windows that kept self destructing on me (one day id have data then the next its wiped clean...once i was able to restore everything but lost it other times)

Like i said though. I could be wrong about which is the correct way to format a card. The one im using now (sandisk 32gb) i bought from frys electronics and formatted it directly in my stylo and have had no problems with it.

Upvote 0
Just purchased a SanDisc 128 gig card for my Metro PCS LG Stylo, and so far, it works fine. When I inserted the card, I received a prompt to format the card, clicked "ok", and 119 gigs of sd storage became available. I took a few videos, re-sync'd my music to the new card, and everything's working properly. I bought the card at Wal Mart for $59.00, and as long as it lasts/functions correctly, I would say it's a great investment! I plan on loading it up with lots of new pictures, videos and music. If I have any problems with it, I'll re-post here.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong but shouldn't you format the card in android? I was told a couple years back that was the best way to do it (format it on the device you intend to use it on) for better stability.

I was told that when i had an issue with a card i formatted in windows that kept self destructing on me (one day id have data then the next its wiped clean...once i was able to restore everything but lost it other times)

Like i said though. I could be wrong about which is the correct way to format a card. The one im using now (sandisk 32gb) i bought from frys electronics and formatted it directly in my stylo and have had no problems with it.
That card already has problems, ergo that solution... recommended so many times all over the Web..

Upvote 0
I'm using a 128 card (class 10) in my Boost Mobile Stylo with no troubles. It was mounted the moment I put it in my phone. Didn't need to format it or anything else.
You are correct.
Now, I used to format from the get go... and never had a problem.
Then, since coupla years ago I stopped formatting, and have seen problems... on different devices...
I'm gonna return to the xda style of four partitions... Data, cache, etc...with different file systems.

Reactions: Dandan12345
Upvote 0
People 32Gb cards are like 15 to 25 at any retail drug store and if ya have a microcenter, walmart, staples or best buy ya can get legit 64Gb's for around 40/49 bucks to 35 bucks on big holiday sales with the option of a in store warranty and not take a gamble at being a cheap skate online and getting crapped on in the long run with a mislabeled 8Gb card.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I currently use a 512gb works just fine

Did you test it with H2testw? If not, you should do so right away. It's a free download.

As far as I know, a commercially available 512gb micro sd card is not yet on the retail market (except for fakes, of course). I don't know if there ever will be one, as technically, it's quite difficult to produce.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I just saw this post in my mailbox this morning.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
You are correct.
Now, I used to format from the get go... and never had a problem.
Then, since coupla years ago I stopped formatting, and have seen problems... on different devices...
I'm gonna return to the xda style of four partitions... Data, cache, etc...with different file systems.

My 128 card gave out. I rescued files then reformatted with the phone, card was recognized but no write access. Used computers to test/reformat and retest (Windows, Mac, Linux and even Unix) due to ongoing troubles. Long story short, even the best of them can die. I still recommend buying only high end cards.

Upvote 0
My 128 card gave out. I rescued files then reformatted with the phone, card was recognized but no write access. Used computers to test/reformat and retest (Windows, Mac, Linux and even Unix) due to ongoing troubles. Long story short, even the best of them can die. I still recommend buying only high end cards.
I'm really glad you did not lose anything('cept for that big time sink).

This is why I don't like low storage phones(unless if they had two SD slots) - this way the stuff on inner is auto-backed up on external & vice versa.

I actually wish they made phones thru laptops with two SD slots....

I also wish that android n Windows didn't format the cards so differently, so that you just pop in to share anytime.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones