• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

External antenna mod

Ya, what great leaps forward we've made in cell phone signal :-( Analog sounded better too, of course hard to get your email via an analog connection I think...

Analog sounded better when you have a decent signal. On edge, you can't make out every other word (granted, better a garbled signal than no signal).

Also analog takes up a lot more bandwidth, so you can't get nearly as many phones connected simultaneously in an area. And potentially uses alot less power (if you consistently get good signal, if not you'll constently be switching towers burning the battery).

Digital is a better technology, but mostly better for the company and user base as a whole.

Upvote 0
So I know nothing about antennas but....would plugging into that port then running the cable inside the phone under the back cover (so its all hidden under back cover - no physical antenna outside phone) have any benefit? I have a 2600mah battery and new back cover on the way and so I believe the larger back cover has some extra room in there... whatya think?

Upvote 0
So I know nothing about antennas but....would plugging into that port then running the cable inside the phone under the back cover (so its all hidden under back cover - no physical antenna outside phone) have any benefit? I have a 2600mah battery and new back cover on the way and so I believe the larger back cover has some extra room in there... whatya think?

I'm also wondering this

Upvote 0

I'd be surprised you'd get any real benefit from this (I have a BS in Physics, and am a licensed amateur radio operator). I might run the numbers on it, but don't hold your breath.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm still waiting to see if anyone's found an antenna adapter that works for this. I have a little more unique situation that this would solve... we have a cabin in the middle of nowhere, with no electricity. I have a Cyfre direct connect amplifer https://www.maximumsignal.net/store/product.php?productid=16172&cat=0&page=1&featured which worked great with my old HTC PPC-6800 with the correct plugin adapter... with the antenna on the roof of the cabin, it took my signal from -110dB to -80dB at the cabin, and I ran it off a 12V marine battery.

I tried the Velcro "stick it to the back of the phone" adapter with my Inc, but it didn't do enough. The direct connect is worth an extra 15-20dB.

Think about it... no running water, no electricity, but with my rooted Inc with wireless tethering and my netbook, I'd have high speed Internet at the cabin! It worked with my 6800, and it should work with my Inc if I could just find a way to direct connect the amp to the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones