• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook ad on my phone's opening screen

I have an ad on my phone's opening screen that says "Facebook. Find friends and see what's new". To be clear, this is the screen that appears when I turn on the device and before I enter the PIN to access the phone.

I used my desktop computer to make a facebook account several years ago to find a friend from my remote past. Couldn't find that person so closed the account and haven't accessed the account in several years and have never accessed it on any phone I have ever owned.
  • Why am I getting this ad?
  • How do remove it and prevent it in the future?

Sounds like adware is on your phone. Did you install any apps recently? Try wiping cache and data for the app and then uninstall it.

You can also verify if this is adware by putting the phone in safer mode which prevents 3rd party apps from running. If it still exists in safe mode then it is a setting on your phone..... Though I can't see any setting or anything on the phone that would do this.

Upvote 0
I have an ad on my phone's opening screen that says "Facebook. Find friends and see what's new". To be clear, this is the screen that appears when I turn on the device and before I enter the PIN to access the phone.

I used my desktop computer to make a facebook account several years ago to find a friend from my remote past. Couldn't find that person so closed the account and haven't accessed the account in several years and have never accessed it on any phone I have ever owned.

examples of good Facebook Ads
What ad settings do you have to change in Facebook? All I saw was to disable targeted ads, but they still pop up they're just not targeted towards me specifically. It is Facebook that's doing it, when I open task manager the ad says it's Facebook

Upvote 0
Settings? What settings? I don't have a Facebook account, haven't for several years and never accessed it from a phone AND the phone I have now was set up from scratch (in other words, transferred nothing from old to new) a couple of years after closing the Facebook account.

By the way, haven't seen that Facebook ad in quite a while, went away on its own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Settings? What settings. I don't have a Facebook account, haven't for several years and never accessed it from a phone AND the phone I have now was set up from scratch (in other words, transferred nothing from old to new) a couple of years after closing the Facebook account.

By the way, haven't seen that Facebook ad in quite a while, went away on its own.
setting how i can stop this

Upvote 0

I think you're referring to this notification, which I also got on some of my phones:
Screenshot_20231118-172959_One_UI_Home.jpg

Basically, it is an "ad" sent from the Facebook app itself that's installed on your phone (often as pre-loaded, or "bloatware" since that's what people loves to call those as) when there are no accounts being signed into. Holding on that notification shows this:
Screenshot_20231118-173346_Gallery.jpg

The easy way to stop that ad from coming is to turn that notification category off, or disable the app (I assume that it came pre-loaded on your phone and can't be uninstalled) if you don't plan to use it.

(I also apologize for replying to this old post here, but seeing how incredibly stupid that yadic guy was, I just had to do it.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones