• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fail to install chrome and other apps

MrGoodKat47

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Hi,

I have this very strange problem installing some apps, like chrome, android system webview and almost quicklyrics (in the end that worked) on my xiaomi redmi note 3 hennessy (mediatek).

Since the march updates, those apps stuck on "installing" for a while then give me an error (or keep going until reboot). Both from play store and apk package installer. I've tried more than deleting the cache: I've done complete factory resets, and even changing rom.

I tried like 7 different roms, all with the same problem (all lollipop5 miui7/8/9 though, the others don't have fingerprints support). Now I'm using epicrom.

There is a way to find out what exactly is the problem? Sometimes it gave me error 500, others 400 now just "can't install". Is there a way to force install these apps?

Edit: other than february version of chrome, last version of chrome dev seems to work... Does this make any sense?

Hi ocnbrze!

Yeah right now it's rooted, EpicRom has root integrated.

But I tried even official eu and official china miui, among other similar ones, and had the same problem... But now that I think about it, I may mave accepted for twrt to apply the root patch while installing

Should I try reinstalling a rom without root? Could it be a protection?

I used opengapps, are they ok?

Thanks for your attention! I find this an interesting problem anyway, could be useful to debug maybe. In case I could try other kind of roms

Upvote 0
Hi. I have exactly the same problem on same hardware. At the moment running original chinese latest rom with gapps sideloaded. Except google chrome or webview everything works perfect. I can install chrome by interrupting installation at 1 minute in the install proces by restarting phone. Chrome will install and appear in apps list but boot time of phone increases to 10 minutes. I read on miui forums, redmi note 2 mtk (same chipset as rmn3 mtk) that they found a workaround by editing build.prop file and adding 2 lines to it. Unfortunately i can't do that because i am not rooted :-(.and have no knowledge how to edit build.prop witjout root

Upvote 0
Found the solution on rmn2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utlex
On (MIUI forum), user artek242 proposed workaround (which I believe comes from this thread) - disable Ahead of Time compilation, go with JIT.

Those two entries need to be inserted into build.prop file:
dalvik.vm.image-dex2oat-filter=speed
dalvik.vm.dex2oat-filter=interpret-only

Hopefully someone skilled enough (from XDA or Xiaomi/MIUI) will look further into that and try to fix dex2oat so we wouldn't need to disable AOT.
End quote

Maybe somebody rooted can try it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones