• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite Books?

What does everone read on here? Make sure to write a description of the books, maybe that way we might find something new to read! Ill start:

I have a lot of favorites -

"Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen

"The Frontiersmen" by Alan Eckert, also "Wilderness Empire" and "Blue Jacket" by the same author
-All three are about the expansion through america's wilderness and native american lands. The author studied letters, diaries, newspapers, gvt. records, etc. of the time and compiled it into a narrative.

"Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose
-You may have seen the HBO miniseries. It follows Easy Company, 506th PIR of the 101st Airborne from boot camp to VE day in World War Two.

"20,000 Miles South" by Frank and Helen Schreider
-Another nonfiction.. a couple in the early fifties who take an old WW2 army jeep, fabricate it into an amphibious vehicle, and drive it from alaska all the way down to the southernmost tip of south america. Pretty amazing story.

"The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon" by David Grann
-Another true story of Col. Percy Fawcett, a famous explorer in the 20s who was obsessed with finding the lost city of El Dorado (city of gold) in the amazon.. he ends up dissapearing. Over the years following over a hundred people go in search of him and never return.

"The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk" - nonfiction narrative describing Vilhjalmur Stefansson's 1913-1914 attempt to reach the north pole. The ship gets stuck in ice. Stefansson leaves on a hunting expidition across the ice and doesn't return. Captain Robert Bartlett takes leadership and they all travel across the ice to "wrangel island" a rocky little island in the arctic. Eventually Capt. Bartlett and one of the Inuit guides take a small party of sled dogs and make it to alaska to send for releif. Keep in mind the temperatures range around 0 to -50 degrees (that's right NEGATIVE 50) and for a few MONTHS it is completely dark 24/7. It was over a year from the time the ship got stuck in the ice to the time the crew was rescued, 11 people died either in the journey over the ice or when they were stranded on the island.

"I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" by Tucker Max
-google it

"My Horizontal Life" by Chelsea Handler
-more drunken sexcapades, this one from a female perspective

as you can see, I mostly like nonfiction :)
Maus and From Russia With Love

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones