• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Files not adding up to the amount of space used according to Windows (and a couple other questions)

Planex09

May 21, 2013
This is a little hard to explain (sorry for the terrible title). I also have a couple other random questions. Before I get started I want to note that I have Windows set to show hidden files.

1) When I plug my phone into my Windows PC and right-click -> Properties; Windows shows that I have used 1.48 GB. However, when I open my phone, highlight all the folders right click -> Properties I keep getting different numbers. Sometimes it's 319 MB, sometimes 448 MB. The most common is 558 MB in 109 Folders if I leave it for about 10 seconds. So I'm wondering what the deal is. Is Windows not scanning my whole phone for some reason?

2) I've also noticed that Windows Explorer will often freeze when I try to do something big, such as deleting the cached images for the Decked Builder app (usually several hundred MB). I don't know if this is related, but I expect that it is. Maybe something to do with access time?

3) Along this same vein, why won't Windows show thumbnails for JPG and JPEG images on my phone? It will for png and mp4, but not others. Is there a way to force Windows to cache thumbnails? This would make sorting through the pictures on my phone significantly less time consuming.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 2.png
    2.png
    69 KB · Views: 114

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones