• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Impressions

revel

Aug 11, 2009
Shropshire
I received My Gear Live today.
First thing I changed the strap for a comfortable padded leather one.
Setting up the watch was quick and easy and straight away there was a firmware upgrade to download.
The watch is very sensitive properly to much so every slightest touch to the screen set it off.
the Heartbeat sensor works very well and is a great boon for my fitness training.
Needs a few more apps to get the best out of it but they will come soon I suppose.
Needs a constant access to the internet in areas of a low signal, where I was working today it just becomes a lump of plastic.

I got mine yesterday, and returned it today. There are many things about it I really like: the look of it, the band is a lot nicer than the Pebble band, the screen is very nice (indoors!). There are a couple of things I just couldn't live with: it's totally useless outdoors in the sunlight - my wrist vibrates and I can't see what's going on. Even on the brightest screen setting - nothing. Also, the vibration is so low, I miss important notifications. These two items are deal-breakers. Until Android Wear has a device that I can use outdoors when I golf, or bike ride, I'll have to stick with my Pebble.

Upvote 0
I just returned mine, after 48 hours. I wanted to like it. For anybody on the fence wanting more information about the watch, what killed it for me was the lack of sound prompts combined with less than perfect voice recognition. In sum, the watch works great if you're in a quiet area, with indoor lighting and can give your full attention on the watch face (and a good network connection but that goes without saying).

It's hard to describe exactly - When trying to get it to do things I'd wake it up, give it a command, then it'd churn for an indeterminate time (sometimes instantly, someeetimes a second or two) before asking for more input. But, since it's doing it silently you have to be looking at the watch and give it that additional input when it's expecting it, or it times out and says, "I didn't catch that." Alternatively if you start to talk slightly before it's ready it also says it didn't catch it. It felt like a conversation with someone where there's a bit of lag and you're constantly talking over each other. This must have been what radio conversations sounded like before someone came up with the word, "over".

For comparison I can easily give voice commands to my phone while driving because it provides a 'beep' when it's ready for more input. I can't with the watch because I have to be looking at it. It requires your full attention to use, and I found that for nearly everything other than just glancing at the time it would have been easier to just pull out my phone.

It also seemed like the voice recognition might be worse- my phone has no problems sending a text to my wife. I couldn't get the watch to without speaking very loudly and over enunciating.

For notifications / incoming information it was actually pretty good though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones