• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help First post, go easy on me, New Galaxy S3 First Android.

depends how you want to see them I guess?

This is my first android phone where you can access the notifcation bar with teh screen locked. Its a bit stupid since there are buttons in there to turn wifi / mobile data on and off etc. This seems a bit risky so I put my pattern lock on to stop that happening.

Missed call count shows up on the lock screen but to find out who, you need to unlock it.

Upvote 0
If you put a pin or pattern lock on, you can't access the pull down at the lock screen. If you only have swipe to unlock, you can.

When you say the ice Group is un editable, could you elaborate please? Possibly with screenshot?

In the ice group, you should have a search bar and button that gives create or select as an option.

It is possible at&t removed this (they removed other features like samsung dive) but I would like to see your screen please

Thanks. Here they are. Also, Note the relative size of the "OK" button to the "Emergency" button. As well as the close proximity of both.

They either need to be further apart, editable, require confirmation, or have the OK button bigger than the Emergency button.

Attachments

• Emerg1.jpg
    Emerg1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Emerg-ICE.jpg
    Emerg-ICE.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 51
  • nine11.jpg
    nine11.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Thanks. Here they are. Also, Note the relative size of the "OK" button to the "Emergency" button. As well as the close proximity of both.

They either need to be further apart, editable, require confirmation, or have the OK button bigger than the Emergency button.

So in that third screen shot (same as mine), see the very top line it says "ICE - emergency contacts (1)"?

Directly underneath the (1) is a button with a silhouette on it. Press that it should prompt to create or select a contact. Anything you create or select will be added to the group.

EDIT > Also if you go into Android menu > motion, if you have motion "on" and "palm Swipe to capture", you can take screenshots of your device by swiping your palm (actually side of your hand) across teh screen left to right.

Also press and hold home + power at teh exact same time will also take a screenshot.

Upvote 0
So in that third screen shot (same as mine), see the very top line it says "ICE - emergency contacts (1)"?

Directly underneath the (1) is a button with a silhouette on it. Press that it should prompt to create or select a contact. Anything you create or select will be added to the group.

OK. That gets me part way solved. Now I have two contacts in the group. But they are in separate *sub groups*. Emergency -Service- and Personal Emergency -Contacts-. What do you suppose is the difference? See attached. What is going to happen when I press Emergency? Will it give me a choice, will it do both or will it default to 911 because it is categorized as a "SERVICE"??

Testing is difficult as I don't want to unnecessarily create work, confusion or tie up the emergency lines or personnel.

The only way I can think of safely testing is to go into a hospital X-ray room (lead lined) and be sure I have "No Service", and turn WiFi off, and then try the button.

Tnx.

Attachments

• Emerg4.jpg
    Emerg4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
Mine only has "personal emergency contacts". I guess the difference is yours was pre-programmed with your actual emergency service.

So when you press "Emergency call" from the lock screen, it takes you to the dialler.

From the dialler, you can either:

- dial 911 or 112 (using the numeric keypad followed by the call button)
- press the + button (which takes you to the ICE group) then press the contact you want to call.

With the last one, there is no confirmation to call. But if you're scared its going to call 911 in your pocket, your pocket must first

1) Press power button
2) Swipe to unlock
3) press the "emergency call" button
4) Press the plus button
5) press the specific contact button.

Thats a lot of precise presses that need to happen within your 30 second screen time out or whatever its set to.

Literally all "emergency call" is for is if you are in an accident and someone needs to call 911, they can do so without knowing your pattern / PIN / Password. That's all it is.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Upvote 0
From my experience in the last 2 weeks or so of using loads of apps to enhance my experience like I explained earlier have definitely NOT effected my battery performance much, if nothingat all. I'll still get tons out of my battery in a day. The big drainer is that screen on full brightness.

Probably true which is why I opted for an extended battery. As you get older (that would be me), you find your eyes need more light to read. I keep my screen on 100% brightness but with this battery, I had my phone off the charger for 17 hrs yesterday and still had 50% left. Not bad. :)

Upvote 0
OK. That gets me part way solved. Now I have two contacts in the group. But they are in separate *sub groups*. Emergency -Service- and Personal Emergency -Contacts-. What do you suppose is the difference? See attached. What is going to happen when I press Emergency? Will it give me a choice, will it do both or will it default to 911 because it is categorized as a "SERVICE"??

Testing is difficult as I don't want to unnecessarily create work, confusion or tie up the emergency lines or personnel.

The only way I can think of safely testing is to go into a hospital X-ray room (lead lined) and be sure I have "No Service", and turn WiFi off, and then try the button.

Tnx.

If you put your phone into Airplane mode (Pull down notifications at the top and select the airplane icon) then you shouldn't be able to dial out I would think. Use that for testing.

Yes to the x-ray room trick. I've used it. I work around them as well. Take it into the MRI for real kicks and see what happens...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones