• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Fixed MTP device error with Samsung Galaxy

the easy way

download this one and clean you usb connections for all you dont need
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Then download this one, and it give you not only drivers if you need it but it also give you the possibility to switch between MTP and PTP on devices where that normal dont shows.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adbdriver.app

When you have cleaned your usb. Restart your computer. then turn on MPT and just wait for you computer to finish. Or you can chose to install according to the app.

Upvote 0
I finally fixed the dreaded MTP device error (code 10 error - device cannot start) with Samsung galaxy android version 2.1. I have been trying to connect to Kies since December and tried everything posted in all the forums to no avail. I called Samsung and they told me they can't help me, and I have to send the phone back for repair. Here is their logic - since I could not connect to Kies on several computers, it must be the phone.

So far I have installed and uninstalled Kies a million times (seems like it anyway) and used 3 versions of Kies with all versions of windows available to me. Finally, yesterday I managed to upgrade to Froyo with the latest Kies (Feb 8, 2011 version) The phone now connects to KIES in pcs with windows xp, windows 7-32bit and 7-64 bit.

THis is how I solved it to save you all the agony and the cursing.

Note: I used windows xp since XP will allow you to manipulate files in system folders.
First, leave the phone connected to the PC.

1. Uninstall the MTP device from device manager.
2. Unplug the phone from the usb cable.
3. Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers and rename wudfrd.sys and winusb.sys to wudfrd1.sys and winusb1.sys repspectively. DO NOT delete them, you will need them again.
3. Replug the phone. (assuming you chose to connect to PC in Samsung Kies mode)
4. THe computer will try to install MTP and will fail because it cannot find the 2 files above.
5. Go to device Manager, select the MTP device, choose Driver tab, then update drivers and choose specific location for the driver. Picked any folder in c:\Program Files\Samsung\USB drivers. (actually I tried all of them. But I think just one is enough). Again the update will fail but this time the code is different (I think code 28).
6. Go back to c:\windows\system32\driver and rename the 2 files back to it's original names.
7. Go back to device manager and now update the drivers. This time choose recommended method. This time, windows will update the MTP device with a fresh reinstall,
8. Right click on MTP device and choose enable (if it is disabled), and this time the phone should connect to Kies.
9.Kies will now tell you there is an update available. Update right away - choose yes to update to Froyo 2.2

That's it. My guess of what happened is, somehow in the initial install of Kies, and plugging in an android 2.1 phone, the drivers got corrupted and the only way to get windows to reinstall those USB drivers from scratch is to force it to release the corrupted files first.

So after my phone was upgraded to Froyo (2.2), the phone now connects to previously failed Kies connection in pcs with windows 7 (32bit and 64 bit) without having to reinstall Kies on those computers.

I hope this works for you coz froyo definitely improves the functionality of the phone - youtube, better control of bluetooth devices, etc....
sorry about the Whining yesterday. This worked, i just had to jump through hoops to unlock the files in question again, but i did it. Thanks!! Now i have to go apologize to Samsung Twitter.....

Upvote 0
There could be multiple issues behind this MTP problem.
Either a) you haven't installed WMF 11 or b)You have installed it but it's an old version in which case windows update will do nothing about it or c)you used the wrong USB drivers from Samsung.
So assuming you have Windows XP SP3 search in your Windows/system32 folder for WUDFRd.sys and wpdusb.sys if any or both are missing you either have an old version of WMF 11 or you haven't installed it at all.
I personally had a wrong version so I downloaded wmformat11sdk.exe version6.0.5489.0 from softonic it was a 31.9MB file compared with my previous one which was only about 7MB. Uninstalled the previous one, installed this one and MTP worked like a charm.

Let's skip sloppy Microsoft now and go to sloppy Samsung. DON'T download their latest USB drivers. Find your model in their web page and download the USB drivers they suggest for your specific model. More often than not it won't be their latest release, and there's a reason for that, which of course they won't tell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones