• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forcing Apps to install to the SD Card without root

Hi again, posting pic of my problem.

2wpo4s9.png

EDIT: It worked, don't know what I did (maybe just wait long enough) but It worked. thanks for the step-by-step explanation.

Upvote 0
Nice one here......this is quite relieving cos it has been depressing for me all this while not being able to install directly on sd. 150mb internal memory sucks!

But the installed apps still have their data stored on the internal storage irrespective of where they are installed. please what can be done about this to ensure that even the apps data are stored on sd.

Upvote 0
Hello, the sanei has a different command, 'set-install-location 2' instead of 'setInstallLocation 2'

but even typing in the correct thing it still doesn't work.
I'm trying to post pic to show but can't.
Android 4.0.4

img35 dot imageshack dot us slash img35 slash 7603 slash 43458125 dotjpg

img824 dot imageshack dot us slash img824 slash 2495 slash 55708505 dotjpg

Which phone do you own?

Upvote 0
Hello all (Third post ever):

1st:
How would El Presidente's original post be modified for those of us who use a Macintosh? (We have a pair of Mac Mini's running OS X version 10.6.8, "Snow Leopard".)

2nd:
I guess I'm still a bit naive regarding Android terminology. I can't figure out if El Presidente's post means that his technique does or does not "Root" the phone (as I think is the terminology).

Assuming that it does...

3rd:
I came to this post only after having read (and responded to) this one:
* http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...d-vs-link2sd-internal-storage-explained.html#
...as a result, some of the below is redundant if you've already read my response in that forum. I'll preview it by saying that it explained to me that there _IS_ a difference between "App2sd" and"Apps2sd", and I was NOT crazy to think there was something very fundamental that I didn't understand.

---

We are long time subscribers to T-Mobile (USA). We're NOT going to switch to another carrier. One thing T-Mobile does that nobody else (in the US) does, is "Wi-Fi Calling" {...and we're still "grandfathered" in under the old plan}. This is one feature we have and want to keep in an old Samsung T339 flip phone (non-Android of course). When we needed it replaced via an insurance replacement (to make a loooong story short) we were instead supplied with an HTC Wildfire S. So, now I'm trying to make more memory available on what is now a spare phone for us, _BUT_ I can NOT sacrifice the "Wi-Fi Calling" firmware that's built into this phone.

It's my understanding that as a GENERAL rule of thumb, if I want to keep the Wi-Fi Calling firmware intact, this means I can NOT flash the ROM in this phone. (Yes, I know, there is one ROM that may work, but its legality is questionable.) So, there's no "CyanogenMod" in our phone's future(s).

As a result, I am limited in my choice of the Application-to-SD-Card software choices that this forum's topic is discussing.

I currently have a 4GB (Sandisk) microSD card in the phone (no speedcode printed on its surface).
I _AM_ willing to go to my local "MicroCenter" store and purchase a 16 or 32GB microSD card (probably speedcode 10) and place a partition on it. However, as of this writing that has not (yet) been done.

With these pieces of information tossed up for your consideration...
Does anyone have a suggestion as to which app I should choose?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

NSW

Upvote 0
Can't comment on he other stuff at the moment, but I'm pretty sure when El Presidente gets a hold of the mac adb files, he could sort out some mac instructions for you. He needs to have a look at the mini SDK anyway.

He can be quite forgetful so feel free to PM him and give him a little nudge if he doesn't get something sorted soon.

Upvote 0

Does that tab have an external SD Card or a virtual one?

My phone is lg optimus l9, after typing pm setInsallLocation 2, there is message unknown command setInstallLocation. Anybody can help.? Thx before

Is that ICS or above? This process is for Gingerbread or below. Try using pm set-install-location 2 instead.

Upvote 0
i carefully did all as well explained and managed to do pm setInstallLocation 2 - but after switching phone (XPERIA RAY) on and off i still see all the apps with move to SD card greyed out - what am i missing ? i downloaded sdk etc and managed to cmd steps successfully but no change in the phone - thanks so much for your help ! appreciated !!!

Upvote 0
Thank you for some very clear instructions. This unfortunately is still not doing the trick for me. Please advice.

I have a HTC Wildfire S. It is on Android 2.3.5 (I wonder if that is the problem?).

All your instructions worked, the serial number came up - the instructions worked fine. When I tried to uninstall and reinstall certain applications (yahoo mail, messenger etc) it reinstalls them back to the phone and not the SD card.

Please can you advice? If the advice is 'to root' - I would appreciate a link to a site with simple to follow instructions like you have put here :)

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Similar story to the above, I followed all the instructions, I have HTC Desire on 2.2 Android, and it is rooted.

All passes without trouble, yet when i try to install an app (Plague inc.) in this case from Google play store, it keeps filling up internal memory which i have about 30 mbs left, fills it up reports error and leaves me with that warning until i reboot my htc, then the 30mb get freed again.... :(

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post-but I just followed instructions in the original post and they worked! Facebook is now on my SD card. Thank you so much!

I did have to try about a dozen times before everything worked out. I kept getting the 'device offline' problem, and would uncheck the USB debugging and plug everything back in-which worked about 30% of the time.

Then I couldn't get the adb shell command to respond-it would just hang up. But eventually it got through. I did the same exact steps each time-so I don't know why it took so many tries...but oh well. It worked!

Upvote 0
Working fine for me also, followed instructions in initial post,

if you don't want/need htc sync:
when you plug your phone in you can mount it as a disk drive and run setup_3....exe to install htc sync, first it does the drivers then you can cancel
before it does the full install. Gives you HTC driver in start menu on XP

Freed up 20 meg for me (doesn't work for some pre-installed apps see post 53)
but should buy me some more time before i have to root it!

Thanks

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
well hello everyone..um just completely new to this forum..still isnt a bad idea to post a reply for this...HTC WILDFIRE S is indeed a gud phone except the internal memory issue..anyways letz not get sidetracked....iv just attemptd evrythn the post sed..but am facing problem in one thing to be honest...

adb server is out of date...killing
* daemon started successfully *

these above two lines never showed up in my process..
is that a problem or sumthn? or is it okay? plz help..thankx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones