• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Format Write-protected Encrypred SD card

Harshav123

Lurker
Sep 17, 2019
I used a 64GB SanDisk SD card in Lenovo K4 Note as internal storage. After the phone got reset, I realized the SD card is still encrypted. I retrieved data using Linux recovery tools. After retrieving the data, I am trying to format the SD card but I am getting Read-write error on Fedora and Cyclic Redudancy Check on Windows. I am sure that the SD card is write-protected and I am able to read the data. Is there any Android tool that I can use to flash the SD card and make it reusable. I am okay to explore to fix even the cylinders and sectors of the SD card.

Lenovo Phone - The phone does not accept the card as internal storage or portable storage, displays error mount card since Android version got reset back to the OEM version. I used the SD card as internal storage when the phone was running up-to-date Lenovo ROW version.

Windows - I used Drive Management in Admin mode. USB Drive is displayed without Drive letter. Two Partitions 16MB and 56 MB. Displays Cyclic Redundancy Error when trying to delete the partition or trying to format the card. I am sure this error is due to write-protected encrypted card. The encryption might be triggering the error

Fedora - In Terminal, root user mode, I used TestDisk to recover images and videos - no problem reading the SD card. After retrieving the data I was trying to format the card using Gparted. Gparted displays the card as /dev/sdb/
/dev/sdb1 – 16MB Andriod_Meta unknown type partition.
/dev/sdb2 – 56MB Andriod_Expand unknown type partition.
Resizing or deleting partition or formatting displays Read/Write error. Again no problem reading from the card. Any action to write data on the card is triggering errors.

Upvote 0
How old is this 64GB microSD card? If it's been under heavy usage situations for several years it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for it to have just failed. If using three different operating systems (that each approach file system management differently) cannot restore this card back into a usable state, that might be a sign to just retire it.
Also, given all the things you've tried and its current status, even if you are eventually able to re-format it successfully do you want to trust it to store your data?

Upvote 0
Does Gparted let you create a new partition table? That will wipe everything, but I don't know if it works with write protection on.

Or in Windows
1. Open a command prompt then type:
DISKPART
2. To find the disk number of the SD card type:
LIST DISK
3. Select your SD card, if it's disk #3 type:
SELECT DISK 3
4. To clear read only type:
ATTR DIS CLEAR READONLY

Upvote 0
Svim - Sure I will try to get a warranty replacement.
When I try to format on Android Phone - I am getting this error: command '13 volume partition disk:179,64 private failed with '400 13 command failed. 13 keeps changing to a different number.

Does Gparted let you create a new partition table? That will wipe everything, but I don't know if it works with write protection on.

Or in Windows
1. Open a command prompt then type:
DISKPART
2. To find the disk number of the SD card type:
LIST DISK
3. Select your SD card, if it's disk #3 type:
SELECT DISK 3
4. To clear read only type:
ATTR DIS CLEAR READONLY
Kate - I will try and reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones