• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

funny smartphone trick dlna?

Andy device with Wi-Fi can be DLNA compatible.

DLNA - is like a language between different media devices. If your device have Wi-Fi or LAN (that is to say - can communicate at all) - it could speak DLNA.

There are several DLNA classes (you can get to know it better on DLNA site)
The main of them are:

Server - share media files that he have.
Player - go through the servers and select the files and plays them.
Render - waiting for someone to send him media files.
Controller - the one who is browsing servers, select files, and sends them to players.

For Android phone - you can try DLNA application ArkMC. It has all these 4 classes.

So, if your device have wi-fi (or lan) - it could potentially be DLNA.

To be controller - it needs to have some screen and some keyboard (or touch creen) - to take a look at files, to select one of them and to send it to be played to other devices.

To be player - it better to have or BSG display - for videos and photos, or at least some headphones - to listen to music.

To be renderer - the same requirement as for player.

And to be servers - there's no need for screen, there's no need for sound, there's no need for keyboard - it just needs to be able to store files!

Upvote 0
No, DLNA has nothing whatsoever to do with Wi-Fi. DLNA is a simple, lightweight multimedia service that doesn't care about the networking media. I use mine over Ethernet.

I don't know what the video has to do with anything. Most of it shows a guy using what I presume is a HDMI cable to view his phone on a TV. The second part shows a pretty lame "prank" (that looks staged to me) where some kid gets scared by an ugly picture on the TV suddenly coming on. Big deal.

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones