• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Future of automobiles?

Where do you see cars going in the future?

• All electric

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Internal Combustion Engines (gas/diesel/rotary)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Hybrid Gas:electric

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Hydrogen cells

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other (fuel cell, wind, solar etc.)

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
Diesel hybrid.

Right now we have 2 diesel VWs that AVERAGE 42 mpg. If they were hybrid, it would be more like 60/70.

Then once they make an electric worth buying(that you can take trips with, without worrying about running out of juice), then and only then will electic cars take over.

The problem with diesels is cold climates. If you have to park your car outside in a snow storm, have fun getting her going when you actually need to.

I have seen some crazy numbers out of diesel cars though. There are some smaller (still 4 door) vehicles sold in the UK that can get 70+mpg. This is with a regular diesel engine, not a hybrid.

Upvote 0
I recently went toe the NY Auto show this past weekend and saw quite a few electric/hybrid vehicles. But the thing that gets me is most of the Electric or CNG vehicles are useless here in NY. Not one station I've seen has the hookup for these types of vehicles. They might be in abundance in California but northeast, nada, nothing, zilch.

Prices of gas here are starting to go beyond the $4 level, I recently went to Hawaii and the prices there were already beyond $4.35 two weeks ago. Being that they ship their gas from the mainland, it boggles my mind that that state hasn't gone totally electric.

I saw a documentary a while back that stated that the Auto manufacturers could produce a very good efficient and powerful engine, over 40 miles per gallon and still give you V6/V8 power. But they choose not to do it. And no one can say why. I think it was on the History channel. The tools to become totally independent of oil are there but we will never get there.

Another issue that I have an issue with is Solar panels. If one house in a block of 20 had solar panels, not only easing their consumption but also giving back to the grid, it would help greatly. But the city, state and fed government don't really make it easy for homeowners to get such expensive panels. I see it as an investment but they do not.

TS

Upvote 0
The Electric Tesla Roadster | Tesla Motors

All electric sportscar that gets 245 miles per charge (running it like a "nomral commuter and not a sportscar - as a sportscar it gets about 75-80 miles per charge).

There's a dealership here in Colorado, so I've seen a couple driving around. Beautiful cars. One guy had a license plate "LOL OIL", I was laughing pretty hard.

A huge benefit with electric motors are you get 100% of the torque right away, while normal motors have to be high in RPM before they get the most power. The Tesla has insane acceleration cause of that.

Upvote 0
The biggest obstacle holding us back is us. None of these technologies will ever get off the ground without a large percentage of the population being behind it. Heck everyone's heard about the engine that runs off of water...

YouTube - Engine Runs on Water!

But for some crazy reason, hardly anybody seems interested in seeing it become mainstream. I know the water theory works because I saw it work in several vehicles a few years ago. I used to work with this guy who modified cars to run off of a water vapor/gasoline mix. He learned the technology from some guy he knew down in Georgia or something like that. It took him a while to figure out how to actually get it to work (and we all thought he was a lunatic when he was telling us about it), but before I left that job he had succesfully converted 4 coworkers vehicles, including his own Cadillac Northstar V8, over to this gas/water hybrid.

It involved a glass jar (like you use for canning) with copper wire wrapped tightly around something that he dropped down into the jar (this was the part of the design he kept trying to perfect. He tried several designs, and ended up using a really thin guage copper wire wrapped very tightly, overlapping a few times). Then he'd fill it half way full of water (can't remember if he added anything to the water or not), seal it up, and run a copper tube out of the top of the jar and into the fuel system. In the lid of the jar there were two bolts that stuck out of the top of the lid, then ran down into the water. Then he ran a positive wire to the first bolt, and a negative wire to the second bolt. I can't remember all the details, but he explained to me how somehow mixing the water, copper and electricity created a very combustible gas vapor that he then used to supplement the regular petroleum powering the engine, to greatly increase fuel efficiency. When I left he was still tweaking the design out quite a bit, trying to get the vehicles he'd converted to get better and better fuel efficiency.

The one that I remember the most was his good buddies big Dodge 3500 dually pickup truck that got around 12 - 16 mpg of gas on the highway. This guy was a farmer who drove 45 minutes to and from work everyday. They were good friends, but this farmer guy absolutely did not believe running an engine on water vapor was feasible. He kept telling his buddy that the whole project was like trying to find Big Foot... couldn't be done because it was all a fairytale! So he was dead set on proving it to his farmer friend.

Once he'd figured it out and hooked up his water contraption to the guys truck, the farmer dude was totally astonished when his average fuel economy shot all the way up past 75 miles per gallon... with WATER VAPOR! The part I had a hard time understanding, was that you didn't have to keep filling the jar up all the time. He said one jar of water half full would produce enough of this vapor to last an entire days worth of driving. Extremely efficient.

The system wasn't perfect of course. For starters he wouldn't perform the moddification to certain engines that used a lot of a specific metal (which I can't think of off hand). He said the likelyhood that the water vapor would cause rust damage to the interior of those certain engines was too high, and he didn't want to be responsible for that. Can't remember which cars they were.

Anyways, he was a really smart, and a good guy. But man he was paranoid as hell. Naturally everyone wanted him to modify their engines with this cheap gas saver once he proved it really worked. But he turned down just about everyone except a few of his closest friends because he said he wasn't trying to, "make a lot of noise and step on anyones toes..." the 'anyone' in his reference meaning those who make billions of dollars on oil sales who don't want to see a potentially huge decline in demand for it.

So one time when I was assisting him on the laminator, I asked why he didn't try and make money off of this design. Hell the way I saw it he was sitting on a gold mine unlike any gold mine anyone's ever dreamed of. So he told me that his guy from Georgia who'd given him the idea for it was trying to sell the technology he'd perfected to the government and the military since it cost next to nothing to completely convert any car, truck, SUV or anything else on the road into a water burning vehicle instead of a gas burning vehicle... no gas at all was required. And then one day the guy up a vanished, nobody's seen his since.

So he thinks either the government saw this invention as a clear and present danger... because it would cost them untold trillions of dollars in tax's that they make from the sale of gasoline. Or somehow the oil companies found out about his revolutionary idea, and decided he needed a permanent vacation.

I'm not making any comments on all that, all I know is that there are proven technologies available to us. But for now anyways, everyone seems pretty content with the way things are... giving all our hard earned cash away to the Saudi Arabians for their fossil fuels.

Upvote 0
outlaw.. that is hard to swallow.. but very interesting

People should have a go at the patent library. What an asounding place. There are vast numbers of patents out there for all sorts alternative energy designs that apply to automobiles. Different ways of doing this and that; some are interesting and some are iffy. And some are simply one inventor's take on well known principals.

Lots of scams on the web that help you save gas and (as the charlatans explain) some are disclosing "information they don't want you to know about." Who ever they are.

Water vapor cools the combustion chamber and provides for higher combustion rations and helps eliminate knocking. It is a technique well patented, well documented, and well understood for decades.

The jet engine guys here can likely tell you how it works in a shaft turbine engine. Water vapor increases efficiency.

Nothing really new

Upvote 0
outlaw.. that is hard to swallow.. but very interesting

Don't worry, I know it is. Anytime you hear these second hand stories you have to take it with a grain of salt. I was there so I have the luxury of knowing what happened. Well, I don't really know how it all worked, but I saw it happen.

So it doesn't matter to me if most people dismiss it, I figured most would since it's sensational. Heck we all thought it was a bunch of hogwash as well. But the proof was in the pudding.

Upvote 0
The problem with diesels is cold climates. If you have to park your car outside in a snow storm, have fun getting her going when you actually need to.

I have seen some crazy numbers out of diesel cars though. There are some smaller (still 4 door) vehicles sold in the UK that can get 70+mpg. This is with a regular diesel engine, not a hybrid.

WRONG! That's like saying you can't text on a cell phone(based on using a bag phone). Uh, things have changed bit...
Our '06 Jetta diesel fires up in any weather. A N Y! No plugging in/nothing.
Our '00 Bug diesel does need a bit of help in very cold weather. Not much but some.
Our '00 Ford Excursion starts in about any weather but if it gets very, very cold it can be plugged in and fire right up.
Most all new diesel cars do NOT have problems in cold weather now. Nor do they smoke. Nor are the slow.
The media is so hell-bent on electric crap they will not tell you a thing about new diesel cars.

Upvote 0
WRONG! That's like saying you can't text on a cell phone(based on using a bag phone). Uh, things have changed bit...
Our '06 Jetta diesel fires up in any weather. A N Y! No plugging in/nothing.
Our '00 Bug diesel does need a bit of help in very cold weather. Not much but some.
Our '00 Ford Excursion starts in about any weather but if it gets very, very cold it can be plugged in and fire right up.
Most all new diesel cars do NOT have problems in cold weather now. Nor do they smoke. Nor are the slow.
The media is so hell-bent on electric crap they will not tell you a thing about new diesel cars.

How cold is "any weather"? I'm curious.

Outlaw71, the video you posted is illegal (according to the laws of Thermodynamics). :p

Upvote 0
How about turbine power? I saw a motorcycle powered completely by a single submarine turbine. Granted it took it like 5 minutes to get going but im sure with some mods and tweaks they can make it street ready

Chrysler built a turbine car in 1963. It would run many different fuels. They built 50 or so turbine cars and they are sharp looking.

Upvote 0
Electric is the way to go - Lithium-Air batteries offer energy densities up to 10 X the best Li ion ones today. Downside is they can't seliver their energy very quickly but Reseach & Development will change that in time. As for primary generation, Solar, Wind & Tidal power and Thorium nuclear are the ways to go. See Wikipedia Solar power tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inital costs are high, but after that it's essentially free apart from maintenance. Which I believe would be way less than for any nuclear or conventional power enerating plant

Upvote 0
Electric is the way to go - Lithium-Air batteries offer energy densities up to 10 X the best Li ion ones today. Downside is they can't seliver their energy very quickly but Reseach & Development will change that in time.
That's doubtful. Air as an electrode will always be limited by the electrical properties of air, which is mostly an insulator.

As for primary generation, Solar, Wind & Tidal power and Thorium nuclear are the ways to go.
Thorium reactors show the most promise. The supply of electricity must bend to meet the demand. Although some customers may be willing to make limited sacrifices, the bottom line is that electrical demand will always be the driving force. That's true for stationary "mains" power and for mobile power.

One day there will be an infrastructure in place that can serve both. Electricity is the obvious choice. But because our national electrical infrastructure has been allowed to go to seed at a time when it needed to be expanded, it will take a very long time for it to be rebuilt to the point where it can be a truly useful motor fuel. For those who have no formal training in electrical generation and transmission: there's a lot more to it than you might think.

Until the tipping point for all-electric cars happens, we're going to see more traditional motor fuels, essentially burning chemicals to make power, as at least some part of the equation. Non-traditional chemical fuels like hydrogen need lots of electrical power to be useful, which will hold them back.

Inital costs are high, but after that it's essentially free apart from maintenance. Which I believe would be way less than for any nuclear or conventional power enerating plant
At one point people thought that nuclear power generation would make the cost of electricity so cheap that it wouldn't be metered. That never came true, and even that prediction didn't go so far as thinking that it would be free.

There will always be a cost to generate, store and/or move energy. That's not going to change on this world. The thing about batteries are that they only store energy, and are still pretty inefficient. Even a "great improvement" in battery chemistry isn't going to be enough to be a game-changer. The battery in an electric car is just like the gas tank in a regular car. It needs to be refilled from time to time. And when it needs to, there had better have a station close enough or the masses will not embrace the technology. The filling or recharging stations will always be the most expensive thing. It takes land, equipment, employees, deliveries and all the things needed to ensure safety. Those are resources that will only go up in cost.

Back when I was a kid, everyone just assumed that we'd have flying cars and all that in the 21st century. It didn't happen. If we try hard, we might see the end of fossil fuels as motor fuel by the 22nd century. No flying cars though... ;)

Upvote 0
When I was a kid they had flying cars...

Meet the Jetsons!

Jetsons.png

Seriously, I believe electric will be the future before others, maybe hybrid first. The cost may be a factor but it will drop as it becomes popular.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones