• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S4 from Ebay issue

jazzabell

Lurker
Dec 24, 2014
I bought a at&t ssung galaxy s4 1337 ebay i activated it with straight talk and five mins later i didnt have service i called at&t to try and get the unlock codr and they said it was reported stolen ive tryed everything to unlock it i no there is a way can anyone help me

When a phone has been blacklisted, either from being reported stolen or from an account that has been deactivated due to non-payment, there is no unlock code that will get it re-activated. As a matter of fact there is very little the carrier will do to re-activate a blacklisted phone. It's just not in their best interest.

Now, if the phone has been reported stolen to the carrier, then it either is truly stolen, which having in your possession could carry criminal liability (possession of stolen goods), or it was lost by the rightful owner and deactivated. Or, it could have been reported stolen by the true owner to benefit from either insurance or selling it out from under a contract.

In any case, there are some serious shenanigans going on here and you need to resolve it with the seller and eBay quickly.

Upvote 0
This is ATT saying it's reported stolen, they're a reputable company. And there are no user unlock codes for IMEI or ESN blacklisting, period. And also in most countries and jurisdictions, possession of stolen property is a criminal offence itself. There are sites to check this online, Check Mend is one, but you have to pay a fee.

The symptoms the OP has likely got are either no service at all, or emergency calls only. If the phone was SIM-locked it would tell you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But some companies say its blacklisted to get you off the line cause they don't want to help you unlock so in layman terms telling you go get another phone . there was a way to check for yourself online .
Absolutely not. Not only don't carriers misrepresent the status of devices on their networks, is illegal for them to do so. Now if you are talking about companies that claim to be able to unlock locked phones, some are questionable while others are outright scams.

Upvote 0
Absolutely not. Not only don't carriers misrepresent the status of devices on their networks, is illegal for them to do so. Now if you are talking about companies that claim to be able to unlock locked phones, some are questionable while others are outright scams.
I was speaking about checking for themselves now if it is blacklisted hey time to return to eBay for full refund or report seller to the local carrier with proof u brought

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones