• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gas prices?

I'm really glad I can't drive right now! This is from a local gas station a few days ago:

gas_prices_SoCal_cropped_022122.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm glad that I can drive but don't have to. Being retired has drastically decreased the wife and my gas consumption. I have filled up my truck only once this year. :) It will be a different story when I start mowing again. The mowers are gas hogs and pulling them around with my truck and trailer burns plenty too. I go through over thirty gallons of mixed gas annually through my string trimmers and blower.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I'm glad that I can drive but don't have to. Being retired has drastically decreased the wife and my gas consumption. I have filled up my truck only once this year. :) It will be a different story when I start mowing again. The mowers are gas hogs and pulling them around with my truck and trailer burns plenty too. I go through over thirty gallons of mixed gas annually through my string trimmers and blower.
Over there in the land of Oz, do you have different blends depending on season? We do...and the summer blend is more expensive. They're based on what kind of emissions or how much or...I don't know, I've never paid that much attention!

Upvote 0
Over there in the land of Oz, do you have different blends depending on season? We do...and the summer blend is more expensive. They're based on what kind of emissions or how much or...I don't know, I've never paid that much attention!
We do have different grades of gas but there is no changing with the seasons. Naturally in Oz, there isn't an emissions problem. Being substantially less populated and the great plains winds, there is no smog. We have no heavy polluting industry either for that matter.
The changing of blends per season is a new concept to me. Interesting! Is it due to an increase in auto emissions per season change or the climate differences and the emissions impact?

Upvote 0
We do have different grades of gas but there is no changing with the seasons. Naturally in Oz, there isn't an emissions problem. Being substantially less populated and the great plains winds, there is no smog. We have no heavy polluting industry either for that matter.
The changing of blends per season is a new concept to me. Interesting! Is it due to an increase in auto emissions per season change or the climate differences and the emissions impact?
As noted, I've never really paid too much attention to its reasons! I'm pretty sure it has to do with higher temperatures and other weather-related conditions, like wind patterns, but I don't know the details. We've had this seasonal-blend thing for a long time. I should really look it up and learn more about it. Oh well, I'm not driving now anyway, so I may or may not get around to that! :D

But you know, with our now-constant 'fire season' I'm not sure how a blend meant for summer shouldn't be used in winter, too. I mean, last week it was 90 here in the beautiful San Gabriel Valley--and that qualifies as 'summer' temps everywhere else, right? So I imagine that at some point they'll do away with seasonal blends, and make the summer blend the de facto blend year-round.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
As noted, I've never really paid too much attention to its reasons! I'm pretty sure it has to do with higher temperatures and other weather-related conditions, like wind patterns, but I don't know the details. We've had this seasonal-blend thing for a long time. I should really look it up and learn more about it. Oh well, I'm not driving now anyway, so I may or may not get around to that! :D

But you know, with our now-constant 'fire season' I'm not sure how a blend meant for summer shouldn't be used in winter, too. I mean, last week it was 90 here in the beautiful San Gabriel Valley--and that qualifies as 'summer' temps everywhere else, right? So I imagine that at some point they'll do away with seasonal blends, and make the summer blend the de facto blend year-round.
It's been unseasonably warm here. No way summer weather but low 80's is above norm for sure. It's 79° now... winds are gusting into the mid thirty mph range. I bet your season blends are due to the wind currents and higher temps. A strange concept to a Kansas boy. It seems like a good excuse to add a gouge to the price but perhaps it is costly to produce. I've been by some gas stations recently but I never took note of what the current prices are here.
My son recently made the comment that crude barrel prices were soaring and thought it was a good time to seek a raise. He leads an inspection team at a local refinery. I'm sure that spike per barrel is reflected at the pump. It seems the price of all commodities are rapidly rising. My consumables have certainly increased in price.

Upvote 0
It's been unseasonably warm here. No way summer weather but low 80's is above norm for sure. It's 79° now... winds are gusting into the mid thirty mph range. I bet your season blends are due to the wind currents and higher temps. A strange concept to a Kansas boy. It seems like a good excuse to add a gouge to the price but perhaps it is costly to produce. I've been by some gas stations recently but I never took note of what the current prices are here.
My son recently made the comment that crude barrel prices were soaring and thought it was a good time to seek a raise. He leads an inspection team at a local refinery. I'm sure that spike per barrel is reflected at the pump. It seems the price of all commodities are rapidly rising. My consumables have certainly increased in price.

Likewise I hear you on that Olbriar. It is an odd concept to me as well.

Upvote 0
Olbriar, Milo, et. al…

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/air-resources-board-sets-clean-gas-rules-cut-winter-pollution

Note the date on that requirement; last year was its thirtieth anniversary. Note also that the focus is on lowering emissions; I’m not saying that is not a laudable goal, but fuel economy decreases on winter fuel here. Since they are measuring tailpipe emissions as a percentage, they aren’t taking into account the extra fuel being consumed. And you’re burning more fuel without driving further…those extra gallons of carbon-rich fuel have to go somewhere, don’t they?

Still, the biggest problem related to winter fuels is that the refineries basically have to reconfigure for it and it takes a lot of advance planning. It’s not like they can just cut over easily. So they’re reliant on CARB (the California Air Resources Board) to tell them when to change over, and sometimes their prediction is wrong and we have spot shortages and price spikes.

Anyway, enjoy reading the info on the link. It’s a big help if you’re an insomniac. ;)

Upvote 0
Olbriar, Milo, et. al…

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/air-resources-board-sets-clean-gas-rules-cut-winter-pollution

Note the date on that requirement; last year was its thirtieth anniversary. Note also that the focus is on lowering emissions; I’m not saying that is not a laudable goal, but fuel economy decreases on winter fuel here. Since they are measuring tailpipe emissions as a percentage, they aren’t taking into account the extra fuel being consumed. And you’re burning more fuel without driving further…those extra gallons of carbon-rich fuel have to go somewhere, don’t they?

Still, the biggest problem related to winter fuels is that the refineries basically have to reconfigure for it and it takes a lot of advance planning. It’s not like they can just cut over easily. So they’re reliant on CARB (the California Air Resources Board) to tell them when to change over, and sometimes their prediction is wrong and we have spot shortages and price spikes.

Anyway, enjoy reading the info on the link. It’s a big help if you’re an insomniac. ;)
Easy read there buddy :)

Upvote 0
Is the V-Power the seasonable grade you spoke of?
No. I don't know what it *is* but I do know it ISN'T the seasonal blend--that's just automatically put into the respective tanks when the seasons change. In other words, if you buy 91 octane and we're on summer blend, the 91 octane is the summer blend version of it.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones