• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gloss paint. why no other choises?

The flat finish colors don't last as long as gloss, oxidization occurs much quicker which is one reason you don't see them as factory options. The flat black hoods you see on race cars are repainted regularly. I'm sure there is or coming soon new paint technology that will overcome that issue but any new paint tends to be pricey till it is universally adopted.

I have seen some really nice jobs though, flat black with pearl tints that "shine without shining" (how very Zen of me, Sun Tzu would be proud of that quote:)).

Upvote 0
Sorry ... it's already on the market ,it's like a satin finish clearcoat. In fact its been out for quite some time now.
Oh, well...back to playing the lottery for me. :laugh:

I figured that what we think of as a traditional clear coat on matte paint would just end up with a shiny gloss surface, so it's not an easy task. But I accidentally achieved a satin finish clear coat when I sprayed some on my truck to seal up a home-made paint touch-up job as winter loomed. No doubt the lower than optimal temperatures helped create that unwanted satin finish. (I didn't have time to sand/polish it either.)

I'm guessing that a truly matte "clear" coat paint would have to be something less than clear. And since it's the microscopic texture of the paint surface that makes it matte, the laws of nature would make a mirror-smooth matte paint pretty much impossible. Never say never, though! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones