• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

God help us

Peteytee

Lurker
Aug 10, 2018
Just moved from Android 5 to 8 and I find 8 less easy to use with things harder to find. I always used the phonepad layout on Xperia keyboard for typing emails, invoices, texts but it's no longer installed on the phone. Email "can't log in" notification is blocking the top of the screen almost every time it's unlocked, but emails are coming through. Battery life is getting worse each day. Backed up all content before a data reset but all photos were lost. Customer support team don't actually understand each device.
It now takes more time to use this phone, is that progress?

Reactions: KBU2
Did you move from 5 to 8 on the same device (a big jump), or did you change devices? It may make a difference to the advice that can be offered. Also if it was the same device was it an official update or a custom ROM?

I moved from 5 to 8 last year, and yes, some things are different but the redesign of the battery settings is the only thing that I found really slower. But then I did change device, so expected changes, and don't have some of the issues you describe (such as the email problem).

Taking more time is often just that you have habits of usage that haven't adapted to the new system. To judge progress on that basis you should give the 2 versions to people who are unfamiliar with smartphones and see which they find easier - otherwise the old version will always seem quicker, at least initially.

On the keyboard issue all I can suggest is trying some third party keyboards and see whether there is one that works better for you. You never need to put up with manufacturer software that doesn't do what you want. I personally use third party apps for most things, which means that I don't suffer discontinuities if I update the OS or change device. Unfortunately I have never wanted to use a "phone pad" layout, so can't recommend an app for that.

If you changed from 5 to 8 on the same device, did you do a factory reset? It's a pain, but ifnyou didn't things like your email warning might be due to incompatible data from the old version. I'd certainly recommend going into recovery and clearing the system cache (if your recovery still has that option).

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I think the xz1 comes pre installed with 8 so I guess not a firmware upgrade. Jumping that far will always seem strange at first but you'll be finding your way round the settings without problem in no time, just give it a while. Honestly I've never trusted anything that says it'll backup photos or vids. If it's something I want to keep I'll go old fashioned and drag and drop to my pc or external sd card :)

Reactions: Hadron and Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice guys . I have sorted the keyboard problem and I am trying to work out the rest of it. I previously had a Sony z1 compact for over 4 years so when I changed devices I wanted things pretty much the same and rather than give it time, I had a rant on this forum. I will be more patient in future .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones