• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Going backwards from Froyo

Hi all,

I've been running a stock 2.2 Froyo now for a month. However, I want to change to BBV0.4. Couple of questions.

First, do I need to go back to 2.0.1? Would I need to wipe my data/cache?

Also, I followed these instructions to root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705471 (is it ok for me to link to another forum?). Specifically, this tutorial How To: Get Android 2.2 (Froyo) On Your Motorola Droid Right Now! | TheUnlockr shows the guy putting the 2.2 folder into the clockworkrecoverymod backup folder. I'm just a bit confused, as the BB0.4 zip file I downloaded from Android forums has 2 folders. Would I just put that zip file on my sd card and rename it to update.zip?

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but you should be able to say install zip from clockwork and browse to the zip file and load it, without having to rename it. I do believe renaming it is only for pushing from inside recovery mode. Or just d/l it from inside rom manager and let it handle it.

Upvote 0
To the OP.

Just go to clockwork/download roms/ Bugless Beast/ select the rom you want download it, it will install directly to your sd card in your clockwork folder on the card. After that happens you will get a prompt, asking you if you want to back up data and Clear Cache. Some say you should clear the Cache, Pete says its not necessary to clear cache if upgrading from one of his previous FROYO Roms. (I highly reccomend you back up your data each time you do an upgrade, so if something goes wrong you can easily return to your most pervious stable build.)

The device will do the rest, make sure you have a battery level > 60% when doing any wiping or restoring of roms, or updates.

This rom comes standard with a pretty good 800 MHZ kernal, and if you dont have SET CPU then you will need to get it. Its in the MARKET.

Have fun...

Upvote 0
dmdroid forgot to mention that when you select a rom and it downloads, it auto asks you if you want to Backup Current ROM, and also it asks if you want to Wipe Data and Cache. Just wipe d&c...it almost guarantees that there won't be any problems, take note i said ALMOST!

Good luck...but DO backup and I would suggest to just go wipe d&c, make things easier on yourself. If you have TiBu, use it, if not...it takes all of 10-15 mins to get everything back...not that big of a deal, I do it all the time ( I don't have TiBu)

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the information. As far as making backups, are you just doing that through the ROM manager?
YES! Definitely make a backup in ROM manager first. Then just download BB v0.4 (that's the rom i've been using for a while too...it rocks!), and install from SD Card. Make sure you check the wipe data/cache boxes (I ALWAYS wipe date/cache when changing roms).
You'll then have to go through the activation process again.
Also, if you've installed an overclocked kernel...you'll have to redo this too. It comes with a kernel for up to 800mhz...but if you want higher...you'll have to install that again.
Best of luck...and enjoy!

Upvote 0
So i've gotten as far as getting BBV0.4 on my phone. I did a backup before installing it. Is there now a way to get all my programs back, since I did a wipe data/cache?

I'm also going to install the smokedglass theme. Would I want to install that before I flash to a faster kernel?
If you've synced your apps with google....most of them should reinstall on their own. Otherwise...go to market and reinstall.
As far as the theme and kernel.....shouldn't make any difference which you install first. Just make sure you go back into setcpu and set clock speed after you're done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones