• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RASelkirk

Oct 27, 2015
SETX, USA
This prolly doesn't belong here, but we'll see. This mainly concerns my Windows PC as that's the only thing I run a VPN on. I've found over the past couple weeks, Google is blocking every single IP address from my VPN of choice, "Personal Internet Access". I can get on, if I'm willing to plow through a half hour of captcha crap. Is anyone else experiencing VPN blocking? I've asked on Google's "community" and haven't heard back...

Russ

Dunno. I'm gonna guess not, because of the error message that (Brave) browser displays:

Image 000.jpg

This would happen no matter the browser, right? Guess enough people are using PIA that Google ASSumes a DOS attack since it doesn't matter which server I pick...

Russ

Upvote 0
"unaddressed abuse complaints" I've never seen that before from Google, and I'm always using a VPN(Astrill or Nord) for Google because I'm in China. I've seen the occasional CAPTCHA from Google, but not with that message. FWIW I'm only using Android and MacOS, not Windows.

I'm guessing that Google has determined the range of IPs used by PIA's VPN servers maybe coming from spammers, hackers, and other bad actors. Only thing
I can suggest is to try a diffferent VPN provider, such as Astrill or Nord, also suggest you contact PIA's support, as they might have some alternative VPN servers you could use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Changing browsers made no difference.
"unaddressed abuse complaints" I've never seen that before from Google, and I'm always using a VPN(Astrill or Nord) for Google because I'm in China. I've seen the occasional CAPTCHA from Google, but not with that message. FWIW I'm only using Android and MacOS, not Windows.

I'm guessing that Google has determined the range of IPs used by PIA's VPN servers maybe coming from spammers, hackers, and other bad actors. Only thing
I can suggest is to try a diffferent VPN provider, such as Astrill or Nord, also suggest you contact PIA's support, as they might have some alternative VPN servers you could use.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe Google is in some kind of pi$$ing match with PIA and denying them access. And I've got another 1 1/2 years on my current account there. I'll prolly get get a response from PIA as well...

Russ

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Google Account CommunityHi Russell Selkirk,
Your question has been posted to the Google Account Community.

Most questions receive a reply within 24 hours.

Well, it's been 5 days and Google has not seen fit to respond. That pretty much tells me they are blocking as many people from using VPNs as possible. If you're using one and can see Google, I'm betting your days are numbered. It all fits into their scheme of removing any semblance of privacy from the World...

Russ

Upvote 0
Well, it's been 5 days and Google has not seen fit to respond. That pretty much tells me they are blocking as many people from using VPNs as possible. If you're using one and can see Google, I'm betting your days are numbered. It all fits into their scheme of removing any semblance of privacy from the World...

Russ
Well there is definitely a problem but your blame that Google is the problem should be taken with dose of reality.
-- PIA is a very popular, established VPN service.
-- Google, with all of its documented faults, has no record of blocking VPN services, and that includes PIA
-- Any number of online services are blocking IP addresses that are known to be problematic. It's a rampant issue and only increasing in severity.
So if you do have proof of your accusation, please post it. You have a screen shot showing you tried to access Google so that's who you're blaming?
Have you tried accessing Bing? Tried accessing any other site? When you're blocked and a message pops up does it always show Google or does it show the site you attempted to view?
-- Have you tried using a different locale as the end point in your PIA settings menu?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Exactly, I am definitely blaming Google. If they are not blocking PIA servers, why not reply back to my Community query saying so instead of ignoring it?

Bing = OK.
All other sites = OK, even Imgur which blocked PIA servers for several months.
The only sites I get that blocked image on are Google sites.
I've tried every PIA server in the US, not gonna go I'national because too many other sites will be blocked.

I am definitely curious as to whether other PIA users are being blocked from Google, wondering if it's me or the matrix...

Russ

Upvote 0

Russ
Russ.

I'm certain Google wouldn't do that. It's not just privacy, I always use VPNs to access Google services and other websites because otherwise they're blocked where I am. As I've already stated I've never had any problems with Astrill or Nord VPN, and I know a few others in China that also use Express VPN, and they seldom have problems accessing things like Gmail. I sometimes see the occasional CAPTCHAs, that have the message "unusual traffic from your network", but NOT this "unaddressed abuse complaints about malicious behavior" that you seem to have.

I don't know anyone who uses PIA VPN myself, but from reports I've read on sites like Reddit, it seems to be okay, and is usable even in China.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones