• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Photos keeps enabling back

N

Nimrod Rokach

Hi,
I disabled google photos a few times, but it keeps enabling back somehow..
I checked that it's not connected to any app, and that it's not auto synced or anything...
it's really annoying, does anyone have any resolution for this?

Thanks,
Nimrod Rokach.

I just don't need it, I don't use it for anything.
and just an fyi google photos does a great job of backing your photos. i never have to worry about my photos. and the coolest things i can take a photo, have my phone sync, and those photos are there on my computer without having to hook any cables to it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
When you're going into your Settings >> Apps menu, try going through all the app's options and disabling those also before tapping on that Disable button -- tap on Force stop first, then find Clear data to delete all the settings and config files along with the app's cache, disable any Data usage, Permissions, Notifications, Default open, modify System settings options, then tap on Disable.

If you have a file manager app installed, try opening a photo up, and if you're presented with a 'open with' dialog box be sure to select whichever photo manager app you prefer is the selected default app for your photos.
And be sure you have some kind of backup solution implemented for your photos. It's never a good practice to have all your photos only stored within your phone (no matter if its internal storage nor a microSD card).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
and just an fyi google photos does a great job of backing your photos. i never have to worry about my photos. and the coolest things i can take a photo, have my phone sync, and those photos are there on my computer without having to hook any cables to it.

I don't trust big tech, also, when you use Google photos, you're giving them equal ownership of your stuff. From their TOS:
"When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through Google Drive, you give Google a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works.."

Upvote 0
Google is simply being honest and up front that it's data mining all your content. This is in contrast to a lot of other public statements where companies are doing the same thing to some extent but not owning up to it. The Terms of Service (ToS) and/or End User License Agreement (EULA) that we all have to abide by are just garbage anyway.
If you really don't trust 'big tech' you shouldn't be using a smartphone.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Google is simply being honest and up front that it's data mining all your content. This is in contrast to a lot of other public statements where companies are doing the same thing to some extent but not owning up to it. The Terms of Service (ToS) and/or End User License Agreement (EULA) that we all have to abide by are just garbage anyway.
If you really don't trust 'big tech' you shouldn't be using a smartphone.

My phone was unlocked and had no third party apps pre-installed, yes I have to deal with big tech, but this is not an all or nothing proposition. There are steps you can take to protect your privacy, including not using Google drive or one drive, not using Chrome, not using Google keyboard, aggressively using encryption, etc. I know you were trying to be condescending and snarky with the last sentence, but using a smartphone doesn't necessarily include waiving all privacy.

Upvote 0
Snarky? That's on you, not my statement. I was merely pointing out a fact. Smartphones are by design meant to share information, it's a problem when we have no control over it. If you think you're able to still use any smartphone without your privacy being compromised in some way, that's being naive.

You're not leaving that paradigm.. what I said was that you have tools to limit the invasiveness, it doesn't have to be a choice between a CB radio or inviting Google and Facebook into my bathroom to record my dump. If you turn off Google photos, guess what? Google doesn't get your photos. If you send encrypted texts, guess what? If you use a tracker blocking browser like Brave, guess what?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones