• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play issues after factory reset

deckarm

Lurker
Apr 13, 2017
I eventually had to do a factory reset on my Samsung Galaxy Y because it was continuously rebooting and become unusable
Afterwards I wanted to start reinstalling the applications I regularly use. The reset however brought back Android Market, so the first thing the system did when I started that was to automatically update it to Google Play Store and Google Play Services
First of all these two instantly consumed about 2/3 of the available phone memory (more 120M out of the available 190M) which seem to make at least questionable if there would be enough space to install practically anything else that would require more than a handful of megabytes (e.g. Messenger)
But at the moment this can not be even checked, because Google Play Store goes to a freeze after a short while of its first starting, and from that point on the only thing that is visible of it is a plain white screen. I was not able to resolve it by emptying cache/data, phone restarting etc. etc.; the only way to get out was to remove the updates or another factory reset which led us back to Android Market
Is there any way out of this?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones