• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Services not Working :(

No worries. it is a legitimate question.

Joshawa675 confirmed that Kyocera's update works to fix google apps for the test user group a few posts above yours:

The discussion about 4.4.2 was because Ryan wanted to know if they actually updated the Android version to Lollipop with the new update or if it was specifically a fix for the Google apps issue.

Well, I just tweeted? them. This is my first time ever using Twitter, so I have literally no idea what I'm doing...Probably sad to say, but as a twenty year old, I despised the idea of making a Twitter account.

Upvote 0
I tweated Kyocera and it looked like they pushed the update last night. I installed it and it looked like it went through (not sure though, I wasn't watching), but my Maps, Google Play Music and the rest are still as broken as ever. So I tried check for updates again and it found an update - tried it, wasn't watching, still doesn't work. So I tried it a third time and this time I noticed that partway through the update it pops up an error 8507, which http://androidforums.com/threads/update-error-8507.687026/ suggests might be due to missing stock apps (not the case, I haven't removed any stock apps) and http://androidforums.com/threads/error-code-8507.775670/ suggest might be because the update is already installed (seems more likely). Looking under "about phone" in settings I see software version 2.033SP (of course, I neglected to look before hand), so is that the update? If so, it's still not working for me :(

I'm have considering a factory reset and try it all again from scratch, but that would be a PITA, so it's my last resort.

Upvote 0
I tweated Kyocera and it looked like they pushed the update last night. I installed it and it looked like it went through (not sure though, I wasn't watching), but my Maps, Google Play Music and the rest are still as broken as ever. So I tried check for updates again and it found an update - tried it, wasn't watching, still doesn't work. So I tried it a third time and this time I noticed that partway through the update it pops up an error 8507, which http://androidforums.com/threads/update-error-8507.687026/ suggests might be due to missing stock apps (not the case, I haven't removed any stock apps) and http://androidforums.com/threads/error-code-8507.775670/ suggest might be because the update is already installed (seems more likely). Looking under "about phone" in settings I see software version 2.033SP (of course, I neglected to look before hand), so is that the update? If so, it's still not working for me :(

I'm have considering a factory reset and try it all again from scratch, but that would be a PITA, so it's my last resort.

Ok, so I wasted a bunch of time trying to do a factory reset and...still no working.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I have the 1st gen Moto G which I rooted (of relevant) and have been having a problem where on occasion Google Play Services and Exchange services crash. The worst of it comes actually when sometimes upon restarting, a bunch of my app shortcuts (sseems almost random as it isn't necessarily the Google apps) disappear off my launcher's (Nova) home screen and a bunch of related stuff fails. My synced accounts may get removed and a bunch of things like that. More often than not, it's simply just Google Play Services or Exchange Services which fail without any long term consequence. This is obviously however a serious issue and am afraid it could possibly lead to even further issues. Is there any solution proposed here which could likely solve the issue(s) for me?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Well I don't know if anyone really checks this topic anymore, but I received the "test update" from Kyocera in early January and things were working well. Come February I started receiving the "google play services" error again, and informed Kyocera. They told me to conduct a soft reset. I did the reset, and nothing has improved. My phone is still sluggish, I still receive the error, and generally I don't think things are any better.

Upvote 0
Well I don't know if anyone really checks this topic anymore, but I received the "test update" from Kyocera in early January and things were working well. Come February I started receiving the "google play services" error again, and informed Kyocera. They told me to conduct a soft reset. I did the reset, and nothing has improved. My phone is still sluggish, I still receive the error, and generally I don't think things are any better.

I was never able to get my phone working either with the test update or the update they finally pushed out despite several resets and contacting Virgin support. This week I ditched both the phone and Virgin and switched to an LG phone on Cricket.

Much happier.

Upvote 0
I also have Kyocera and Virgin Mobile, but realize that in the future I will probably never own another Kyocera again.

There has been NO System Updates and software updates whatsoever since I bought my phone 2-3 years ago.

I don't know what's their problem, lazy as hell? Why put "System Updates" on the phone settings, if you never push out ANY updates, seriously?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you guys saying the Test update will not work on Kyocera/Virgin Mobile phones? It will actually make it worse?

Did you guys clear the cache? Did you make it better by uninstalling the update?

@wjousts don't scare me. Are you saying the phone will no longer work or it still works if you uninstall "Google Play Services"? You are not very clear. When you say "never able to get my phone working" what exactly do you mean? Every apps starts to crash to the extent that you can't use the phone for ANYTHING anymore? And are you able to uninstall it and get it to how it was before, at least?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you guys saying the Test update will not work on Kyocera/Virgin Mobile phones? It will actually make it worse?

Did you guys clear the cache? Did you make it better by uninstalling the update?

@wjousts don't scare me. Are you saying the phone will no longer work or it still works if you uninstall "Google Play Services"? You are not very clear. When you say "never able to get my phone working" what exactly do you mean? Every apps starts to crash to the extent that you can't use the phone for ANYTHING anymore? And are you able to uninstall it and get it to how it was before, at least?
The test update has not been delivered to a number of users who have asked to be in the test group. In his post, wjousts meant that the update did not solve his issue. And it looks like it did not work for Sythus5 either.

Upvote 0
After almost a year of troubleshooting and eventually giving up, I made an account on this forum to let you all know that an update dropped for me this morning, (This update was mentioned by some folks on the last page o replies or so.) And, it worked. I can log into Google play for games, I can use gmail without an issue. I haven't tried maps yet, but, so far everything now seems functional. Thank you all.

Upvote 0
Hi. I can not update my Android Kyocera Hydro Vibe S6725. During the upgrade process I receive an error 8507. I have read that this is due to the fact that removed some system applications. The former owner actually remove a lot of applications (and I do not know any) is removed and a standard launcher.

QUESTION: Can someone have a backup system? Thank you!

Upvote 0
I'm getting Error 8507 trying to update my phone, I rooted it a few months back so don't remember if I took anything off. I uninstalled root and have still been unable to get the update to succeed. I feel like I remember messing with this libpredtm.so file in /system/lib, added it or replaced it I don't remember exactly, to fix a lot of my Google apps crashing. Anyone know if I can just delete that file or maybe have a stock one (again, I don't remember if that was already there or I added it).

Upvote 0
I know I been out of the wood work lately. I pretty much stop using this phone. But in case i missed it on one of the threads or here. If someone ran into not being able to upgrade there phones to fix this issue due to a error even if you unroot. I found I didnt have to follow some of the crazy guides out there that patch this or suppose too. Also seen some scary bricking stories of people that messed up in the self patching attempt.

I got around this issue when it finally started to effect me by just not allow auto update from play store. Some phones may get slight different revision or whole versions of apps . So To ignore this i just kept the version of Android I had, and installed aptoide which ignore that feature of Google Play and just grabs the latest and greatest based on android version alone. I noticed this when I even update all google apps using play store to start with and aptoide would still tell me there was a update for the apps even know play store says there latest.

I updated all google apps using aptoide alone. And the issue is no where to be seen what so ever. But I only figured this out because its the best phone I own for some games I started playing (so I pulled it out of my draw after little over 7 months and it still had over 50% battery, bitchen battery.. lol) which work best on it and not so well on my Moto E . I miss my vibe but cant use it on the same plan as my Moto E. Would liked to put my vibe on Freedompop but there little but of asswipes about adding other Sprint MVNO phones. Least I could activate it on a free ringplus plan which has shitty offerings then freedompop but its something, and a backup free phone which spends most its time tethered to my Moto E.

But hope this help someone thats too scared to do the long winded manual patch, and cant install the OTA update.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Its a Virgin Mobile Vibe, freedompop a little more odd on what phones they take. my vibes information wasnt even coming up on there systems. but ringplus did. I try again every now and then, if one day my phone show up as a device i can activate it on ill disconnect it off ringplus.

Edit: There site must be a bit buggy, now its showing it will take my phone. lol
So i already took it off ringplus and working on seeing if i can get it swaped with another device on my freedompop account that sucks and rather just get rid of.

Edit 2 : They had to add my phones info to there database to make it activate properly. but my vibe is indeed on Freedompop now. So "WOOOO!!!" lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 although I found a solution randomly.
I have root access to my device and I am able to do a lot of things with it, one of those I'd deleting the dalvik-cache (some sort of cache ta affects permanent memory) I deleted it with lucky patcher (I don't know if you require root access for this), but you can also clean it with a custom recovery such as the Clockwork mod (custom recoveries are a lot more complicated to install), but remember this is a difficult process, but it possible.
1. Download aptoide from its website.
2. Open aptoide and download lucky patcher (You will have to install it manually since it is an .apk file but it is not difficuly).
3. Look up how to get root access for your device on the xda forums (This is the most difficult step if you have a tightly locked device but possible with the help of the community).
4. Once you get root access open lucky patcher go to "toolbox" and scroll down until you see "clear dalvik-cache and reboot"
WARNING: When I cleared my dalvik-cache all of my photos inside the ext-sd got corrupted so remove it first, although keep in mind you have been warned, I do NOT take responsibility for any loss of data.
5. And final step tap the "clear dalvik-cache and reboot" this will reboot your device and go through a process of "upgrading apps" as it said on my device when the process is finished, shut down your device insert your ext-sd and start it.
Hope this post helped it worked for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones