• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice Conundrum

I was really excited when I first heard about Project Fi. It's very cheap and you get a subsidized Nexus device. Awesome! It sounded almost too good to be true, which unfortunately turns out to be true for me due to an odd situation I'm in with my apartment.

The door buzzer at the building I live in dials a phone number, but the catch is that it needs to have a local area code, which I unfortunately don't have. I set up a Google Voice number just for this purpose which calls my cell number and everything has been good. I only use that number for the door buzzer, and continue to use my cell phone number that I've had for the last 15 years for all calls. As I started the Fi signup process, I discovered that Google Voice can't forward to a Project Fi number, meaning that I can either (1) use my Google Voice number and port my cell number over to a forwarding service, or (2) port my cell number to Fi and find some other forwarding service that can give me a number with a local area code.

I'm partial to option 2 since I have no use for GV beyond the door buzzer, but all the options seem pretty expensive and have limitations around call minutes. Line2 is $100/year and RingCentral is quite a bit more.

Does anyone have suggestions that are free or very inexpensive and allow me to port my cell number to Project Fi?

Thanks for the help.

I was really excited when I first heard about Project Fi. It's very cheap and you get a subsidized Nexus device. Awesome! It sounded almost too good to be true, which unfortunately turns out to be true for me due to an odd situation I'm in with my apartment.

The door buzzer at the building I live in dials a phone number, but the catch is that it needs to have a local area code, which I unfortunately don't have. I set up a Google Voice number just for this purpose which calls my cell number and everything has been good. I only use that number for the door buzzer, and continue to use my cell phone number that I've had for the last 15 years for all calls. As I started the Fi signup process, I discovered that Google Voice can't forward to a Project Fi number, meaning that I can either (1) use my Google Voice number and port my cell number over to a forwarding service, or (2) port my cell number to Fi and find some other forwarding service that can give me a number with a local area code.

I'm partial to option 2 since I have no use for GV beyond the door buzzer, but all the options seem pretty expensive and have limitations around call minutes. Line2 is $100/year and RingCentral is quite a bit more.

Does anyone have suggestions that are free or very inexpensive and allow me to port my cell number to Project Fi?

Thanks for the help.

Can you set Google Voice to ring hangouts on your device instead of forwarding it to your phone number? I know this used to be a thing but haven't used my GVoice number in a while.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones