• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice Recognition - adjust timeout duration?

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
If you pause for about three seconds while talking, Google Voice Recognition assumes you're done.

The problem is, when I'm talking to my phone (and perhaps driving my car at the same time) , I often pause for 5 or more seconds to think in mid-sentence..

I know I could try to train myself to do something differently, but I'd rather train Google to do it my way....

Is there any way to adjust that timeout period to 10 or 15 seconds?

Hi swtyndall, and welcome to Android Forums :)

I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but I don't believe that there's any way for a user to change that timeout. Even other apps (such as the AutoVoice plugin for Tasker) that use the Google voice recognition API are unable to change that core functionality.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
If you pause for about three seconds while talking, Google Voice Recognition assumes you're done.

I have had the exact same problem on my tablet. Occasionally, it just thinks I've finished whilst I'm in the middle of talking! :mad:
I'd have to say that the recording duration is the only problem with Google voice search.

Upvote 0
Yes like I said..different version of it..for instance..the ok Google on my Note4 doesn't wait not even a second..but the one on my Note5 waits a long time..the problem is getting your phone to accept a different version..

Typically how I do it is..I clear cache & data..then force to stop..then disable it..then install the version I want..

Screenshot_2021-01-14-11-35-05.jpg

..this would be the version you want..

Upvote 0
Actually diving even further in the issue..when I got my Note4..its ok Google was broken, maybe outdated but it didn't wanna update and was giving me that "offline" feedback..no matter what I did nothing..then I did the trick I just shared with you all..and bingo!!!..it took me not just what ever 10 minutes to adjust the issue..but rather a few hours..why:

Here's why..always 99% of the times when there's an Android issue is Google play services or Google play store related..that being said now you all get the picture..

So what I came up was a very calculated risk (just like my very good friend @MrJavi says)..and a very very very thought process that at the end came back so brilliant (not trying to sound narcissistic)..and this is something I previously shared as well..I put a companion to dwell together with the Google play store & downgraded the Google play services..then downgraded my ok Google..

All of this together solved all my problems..the ok Google, the Google play store updating with out my permission, no more Google play for instant apps creeping up in my system any more, no bogus checking in by it self of the "find my device"..and the list could go on and on and on..

Any way, just saying..who ever wants to read and follow..who ever doesn't..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones