• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm pretty sure it does. The other Galaxy S phones are so this one should be the same.
According to "Amanda" on the Samsung support chat last night, all of the Galaxy S phones have Gorilla Glass. I'll investigate a bit more before I make a decision. My wife should be fine without Gorilla Glass, but my phone is used at work...and it's not a nice environment at times. My tough little Ally has survived whacks that would have turned iPhones, etc into shattered scrap.
JL

Upvote 0
Just got a White Stratosphere for my wife. When I asked the salesman, he indicated the White ones came with Gorilla Glass & the black ones didn't.
And he would be a typical salesman. His mouth was moving, therefore he was lying or didn't know what he was talking about..
The Stratosphere is a Galaxy S device, and they ALL have gorilla glass according to Samsung.
JL

Upvote 0
You must have missed this part in the top paragraph on that page:

JL

considering it has the moto droid razr and xyboard on the list, i would call it pretty up to date. i guess there is still a possibility, but if Corning is that adamant about putting new devices on the page, i would think the stratosphere would be listed there if it did, in fact, feature gorilla glass.

Upvote 0
Well there is one way to tell... anyone want to take their car keys to the screen? lol

the galaxy nexus passes the key test just fine, and is confirmed to not to be using gorilla glass here: Twitter

GNex scratch test:

i believe the stratosphere is using the same "fortified glass" as the GNex, which is similiar to gorilla glass, but not produced by Corning.

someone could always tweet them and ask, they answered the question promptly when asked about the GNex.

Upvote 0
considering it has the moto droid razr and xyboard on the list, i would call it pretty up to date. i guess there is still a possibility, but if Corning is that adamant about putting new devices on the page, i would think the stratosphere would be listed there if it did, in fact, feature gorilla glass.
What you're not getting is that due to agreements with the manufacturers of the devices, Corning won't display the information on their page. Typically this is done when the device manufacturer does not want to pay Corning for licensing. They cannot list the device as having Gorilla Glass, or they have to pay licensing to Corning. Corning isn't going to display it if the company purchasing it doesn't pay the licensing fees.
Samsung basically told me this on the phone. The Stratosphere has Gorilla Glass, but nothing in print anywhere will say that. The comment was "The Stratosphere is a Galaxy S device,and Galaxy S devices use Gorilla Glass.I can assure you that the Stratosphere does indeed have Gorilla Glass, but for undisclosed reasons, I cannot send you anything in print that states this."
JL

Upvote 0
What you're not getting is that due to agreements with the manufacturers of the devices, Corning won't display the information on their page. Typically this is done when the device manufacturer does not want to pay Corning for licensing. They cannot list the device as having Gorilla Glass, or they have to pay licensing to Corning. Corning isn't going to display it if the company purchasing it doesn't pay the licensing fees.
Samsung basically told me this on the phone. The Stratosphere has Gorilla Glass, but nothing in print anywhere will say that. The comment was "The Stratosphere is a Galaxy S device,and Galaxy S devices use Gorilla Glass.I can assure you that the Stratosphere does indeed have Gorilla Glass, but for undisclosed reasons, I cannot send you anything in print that states this."
JL

don't want to argue about this. i was only trying to help answer the question by linking the most credible source of information we have on the subject. no one can be absolutely sure whether it does or does not without seeing an official PR from either Samsung or Corning.

Upvote 0
don't want to argue about this. i was only trying to help answer the question by linking the most credible source of information we have on the subject. no one can be absolutely sure whether it does or does not without seeing an official PR from either Samsung or Corning.
Me neither. I'm just stating what I was told directly from Samsung. Unless either Samsung or Corning wish to disclose it, we're all just guessing. The amusing thing is that the salesman that was yapping about it knows less about it than we do.
JL

Reactions: SolidOrange
Upvote 0
I'm having a hard time determining if the Stratosphere is built with Gorilla glass to protect the display. Anybody know for sure or have a reference that states that it is or isn't?
JL

Hello,
Charley here.
My contact at Samsung ( Vivian ) says the Stratosphere DOES NOT HAVE the Gorilla Glass Display. It has an Amoled Display which produces a better visual display.
cw

Upvote 0
Hello Charley

please kindly explain to your friend vivian that its possible to be both gorilla glass and amoled.....just like her ENTIRE line of Samsung Galaxy S phones (not necessarily including the Stratosphere)........ she must not know a whole lot about her own products

gorilla glass is a type of clear glass covering that sits on top of a display.......... amoled is a type of display that sits below a glass covering........

all amoled displays have some type of glass cover over them....... and all gorilla glass covers sit over some type of display.......... some amoled displays have gorilla glass...... some amoled displays have other types of glass......... some gorilla glass covers sit on top of amoled displays........ some gorilla glass covers sit on top of other types of displays

if all crayons are colored........ and all crayons are made of wax......... does that mean all wax is colored? NO........ but some wax is :) ...... (sort of like those old math questions eh?).....

short story long: its possible to be both amoled and gorilla glass......... as many of the new phones out are both..... including the Galaxy S line of phones from Samsung...... theyve all been made with amoled and gorilla glass (stratosphere is part of the Galaxy lineup.... though not specifically labeled gorilla glass..... this is where the question comes in)

Reactions: ahumpherys
Upvote 0
So I think I can put an end to this. Maybe not. I was always under the impression that gorilla glass was hard to scratch. Nearly impossible.

Well I have a stratosphere that I take very good care of and it already has one deep scratch from being in my pocket and one nick/small chip from when it dropped into a pile of small rocks. It wasn't a long drop either. Not the kind that would shatter a lesser screen. Just a slow tumble into some sharp rocks that has left a permanent scar on the screen.

So if gorilla glass is supposed to be tough against scratches as well as being shatter resistant, then I would have to say the stratosphere does not come with gorilla glass.

It's even already getting the hair sized scuff marks from everyday use that my samsung galaxy S doesn't show. (the galaxy S being much older than my strat.)

So while the stratosphere may come with a tougher than normal glass, I dont think it's gorilla.

Upvote 0
Gorilla glass does scratch quite easily. The scratches usually don't impact the screen visibility at all. Normally you wouldn't be able to tell if you have a scratch while the screen is on. Take a flashlight and look at your screen and you might be surprised at how many very light scratches actually cover gorilla glass screens. Try it for yourself.

Upvote 0
Makes sense I suppose. I've seen gorilla glass fail the scratch test. But my galaxy S doesn't have hardly as many scratches on it as the stratosphere does. And the S is much older. But that being said the gorilla glass true claim to fame is not shattering.

I've dropped the galaxy so many times if it was a lesser phone it would have shattered long ago. I have yet to drop the stratosphere. And I dont want to try on purpose to test that one. >_<

Upvote 0
I agree. I got a used strat and while it had some light scratches, I am pretty sure I have made a few on it just in normal use while my over 1 yr old droid 2 global has no scratches and is advertised as using gorilla glass. I doubt very much that the strat has gorilla glass.

However I also had a used thunderbolt which also uses gorilla glass and had a lot of scratches even some deep ones, so it is more than possible to scratch gorilla glass in general.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones