• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got your Project Fi Invite? Thinking about getting one?

I'm pretty excited by the tech and premise of Project Fi. Being able to seamlessly transition between two carrier networks is a great idea, and I'm eager to see how it actually works out in practice. (I'm even more interested in seeing some technical details of how it actually works.) That said, I'm not sure how much footprint is actually to be gained by combining the two smallest national carriers - though I also don't picture either Big Blue or Big Red hopping on the Google data train.

I'm also curious about how the wifi portion will work. Clearly that's going to be used for automatically connecting to known-good hotspots when you're sitting in a restaurant or walking through a mall (rather than driving down the road), but what will happen when the wifi network is congested and slower than mobile data? Lots of questions that I hope to see answered in the coming weeks.

I get the N6 requirement - eliminating variables like handset compatibility makes it easier to test an initial roll-out of this technology, plus there may be some specific hardware requirements for interfacing with a SIM that can support multiple networks simultaneously.

The pricing leaves a bit to be desired. Getting a partial refund for unused data is kind of cool, as are the flat per-GB rates that don't change. $5/GB would probably be a bit more reasonable though. I knew when Fi was first rumored that it would have to be pretty frickin' fantastic to lure me away from T-Mobile's $30/mo 5GB prepaid, which is pretty much perfect for my use, so I'm not chomping at the bit to make a switch.

Even if it's not for me, I am definitely looking forward to seeing how Fi works out in practice.

Upvote 0
The pricing leaves a bit to be desired. Getting a partial refund for unused data is kind of cool, as are the flat per-GB rates that don't change. $5/GB would probably be a bit more reasonable though.

Totally agree with this. If it were $5/GB as opposed to $10/GB, I would get more high speed data for the same price I'm paying now (3GB v 2.5GB at $35/month)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
This project from google looks great, but in my state (Nevada) T-Mobile and MetroPCS are dominating the mobile wireless market. Which is really surpising to me. Also I have not seen a SINGLE person in Las Vegas (and I go around town ALOT) have a Nexus 6 in there hands. Right now, Metro is winning people who don't care about data (1gb at $30, without a Nexus 6) and T-Mobile is winning some power users with there $30 prepaid plan with 5GBS 100 mins Unilimited text, it's called a obscure plan by some people but here, it's considered the norm (without a contract, prepaid for a reason) I don't think Project Fi could stick here for long.

Also: How surprising how Metro is T-Mobile (since they got bought)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This project from google looks great, but in my state (Nevada) T-Mobile and MetroPCS are dominating the mobile wireless market. Which is really surpising to me. Also I have not seen a SINGLE person in Las Vegas (and I go around town ALOT) have a Nexus 6 in there hands.

If Google is in this for the long-haul,they'll open it up to more devices, likely after us NEXI guinea pigs help 'em get all the wrinkles ironed out.

A high dollar device exclusivity isn't going to attract much interest,& perhaps this is by design,at first,to test things out w/a relatively small control group.

I wouldn't run out & buy a NEXUS 6 just to use it w/Project Fi,as Google is known for pulling the plug on projects that don't pan out as planned (the word Project in the service name is a subtle hint if I ever saw one). ;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
If Google is in this for the long-haul,they'll open it up to more devices, likely after us NEXI guinea pigs help 'em get all the wrinkles ironed out.

A high dollar device exclusivity isn't going to attract much interest,& perhaps this is by design,at first,to test things out w/a relatively small control group.

I wouldn't run out & buy a NEXUS 6 just to use it w/Project Fi,as Google is known for pulling the plug on projects that don't pan out as planned (the word Project in the service name is a subtle hint if I ever saw one). ;)
I don't think that Project Fi won't work out pretty easy for Low-End and Mid-end devices before 2015 devices to work with Project Fi, don't they use both GSM and CDMA bands to work between TMo and Sprint?

Correct me if I'm wrong, i've seen mixed info about this 'Project Fi'

Upvote 0
Seems to me Google is in this to stay.

They're not gonna want to tick off users who invest in a pricey phone and change providers. Too much bad karma would be generated.

They know that the technology will work. There's not much new technology here. WiFi calling has been working smoothly for T-Mobile customers for a while. Handoffs between cell towers has been around since cellphones were big enough to use as a deadly weapon. So has handoffs between providers - it's called roaming. Republic Wireless already proved that this type of service works.

Clearly Hangouts was retooled with Fi in mind. Hangouts + Fi already works with most phones, computers, etc. Native integration with Fi is restricted to the Nexus 6 only for a test period. That way Google controls the test hardware and software. More phones will be added with the Nexus 6's native Fi integration. Hangouts for the rest.

So Fi will shortly be available to just about everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe my perception of data pricing in the US is a little skewed. I thought there loads of smaller networks piggybacking on the larger networks and charging much less?

Also, don't T-Mo do an unlimited everything deal for $50?

My gf is on MetroPCS (Tmobile) promo $50 plan, unlimited everything, no data throttle, easily goes over 10GB each month.
I am on Boost Mobile (Sprint) $30 Unlimited everything , data slowed after 2GB

I hope Google changes with different plans, lets you choose what you need.
1 GB data for $10 is pricey when you don't even own/support the towers

Upvote 0
My gf is on MetroPCS (Tmobile) promo $50 plan, unlimited everything, no data throttle, easily goes over 10GB each month.
I am on Boost Mobile (Sprint) $30 Unlimited everything , data slowed after 2GB

I hope Google changes with different plans, lets you choose what you need.
1 GB data for $10 is pricey when you don't even own/support the towers
It'll be interesting to see/hear what the early adopters are using & possibly saving vs their current/former service provider.

Upvote 0
It'll be interesting to see/hear what the early adopters are using & possibly saving vs their current/former service provider.
I've been trying to figure out how to make this work for us and I think I've got it.

We're on a family plan 2 lines for $80/mo unlimited + 1GB data per line. My wife has a Nexus 6 and I use a Nexus 5. So she can move to Fi but I can't. Obviosly when she changes over we lose the family plan. She can get by just fine on roughly 1GB or $30 on Fi. But my bill goes to up to $50 without the family plan. $30 + $50 = $80 so no savings.

She is out and about a lot for her work and runs her business with her phone. She needs ultra-reliable phone service, which is one reason to switch her N6 to Fi. But...I'm sorta semi-retired and home most of the time with screaming fast Google Fiber WiFi. if I start making all calls over VOIP via Hangouts and WiFi I don't need phone service much. Still, I want to have phone and data for when I'm out but $50/mo or $600/yr is a little much for something used so little.

Then I checked T-Mobile for data-only plans. They have 1GB data-only for $20/mo. Well, 1GB will do fine, I can make a lotta calls with that and I won't use data much otherwise, I just want to have it if I need it mostly. So I called T-Mobile and asked if they could put a Nexus 5 on data-only. First girl I talked said she couldn't code it into the system because it wasn't a tablet, but she transferred me to a guy who said no problem at all, just call when ready.

So, that will make it $30 + $20 = $50 a nice savings of $360/yr.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been trying to figure out how to make this work for us and I think I've got it.

We're on a family plan 2 lines for $80/mo unlimited + 1GB data per line. My wife has a Nexus 6 and I use a Nexus 5. So she can move to Fi but I can't. Obviosly when she changes over we lose the family plan. She can get by just fine on roughly 1GB or $30 on Fi. But my bill goes to up to $50 without the family plan. $30 + $50 = $80 so no savings.

I'm sorta semi-retired and home most of the time with screaming fast Google Fiber WiFi. if I start making all calls over VOIP via Hangouts and WiFi I don't need phone service much. Still, I want to have phone and data for when I'm out but $50/mo or $600/yr is a little much for something used so little.

Then I checked T-Mobile for data-only plans. They have 1GB data-only for $20/mo. Well, 1GB will do fine, I can make a lotta calls with that and I won't use data much otherwise, I just want to have it if I need it mostly. First girl I talked said she couldn't code it into the system because it wasn't a tablet, but she transferred me to a guy who said no problem at all, just call when ready.

So, that will make it $30 + $20 = $50 a nice savings of $360/yr.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:thumbsupdroid: THIS! :thumbsupdroid:

If enough people get on-board & start doing things like this,all the US carriers might finally start offering more sensibly priced plans/options.

Instead of This:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones