• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS location not available for photos off camera: Galaxy A03s Model SM-A037U

Al Fresco

Jul 15, 2020
Greetings,

When photos taken with a Galaxy A03s Model SM-A037U are viewed in Google Photos the GPS data is shown.

If the same photo is viewed outside of Google photos the location information is not shown.

I use FastStone image viewer and all photos taken with my Motorola show the GPS data in the EXIF info.

Photos taken with the Galaxy A03s Model SM-A037U show no GPS information when viewed in FastStone image viewer.

How can this be fixed?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-14 145955.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-14 145955.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 106
Check if you have Location enabled on your A03s and take a test pic to see if that makes any difference.
You might also want to double-check the Settings menu in the Camera app itself to see if there are any options to enable related to EXIF data.

Another option is to try a different camera app, that's what embeds any EXIF data or not. I'll suggest you try the Open Camera app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_US&gl=US
It's free with no ads, and it's very, very user configurable. Be sure to dig into the app's Settings menu, it's really extensive as far as the user interface and how the app's fundamental functionality. Including options for EXIF and Stamping (that's probably what you want to focus on).

Upvote 0
Check if you have Location enabled on your A03s and take a test pic to see if that makes any difference.
You might also want to double-check the Settings menu in the Camera app itself to see if there are any options to enable related to EXIF data.

The GPS must be in the EXIF data or it would not appear in Google Photos. Correct?

Another option is to try a different camera app, that's what embeds any EXIF data or not. I'll suggest you try the Open Camera app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_US&gl=US
It's free with no ads, and it's very, very user configurable. Be sure to dig into the app's Settings menu, it's really extensive as far as the user interface and how the app's fundamental functionality. Including options for EXIF and Stamping (that's probably what you want to focus on).

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into this.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The GPS must be in the EXIF data or it would not appear in Google Photos. Correct?
Yes, that's correct but only conditionally. Photo files will have varying amounts of EXIF data embedded in them, with some having very extensive amounts of info (camera type, date, location coordinates, resolution, etc.) and some with only minimal info (date and file size). So no if some aspect like GPS coordinates don't already exist in a photo file's metadata, an app like Google Photos cannot magically add those missing GPS numbers after the fact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones