• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Grammarians...

So, there's this:

fashion_police_and_grammar_police.png

And, since I decided some time ago that 'Grammar Nazi' is a negative term I don't want to associate myself with (though I can get a little pedantic at times), I've decided that I'd rather call myself a 'Grammarian' instead.

I've also come to realize that the very nature of the English language is change, so, must as it grates on me at times, I really shouldn't get too uptight over the changing of meanings, spellings, et al.

I shall continue to edit my stuff more in-line with the 'official' rules, but part of the art of writing is knowing when and how to break the rules for best effect.

Reactions: psionandy
Language does change, but I doubt there will be a time when "their", "they're" and "there" are interchangeable. :)
Ok... Nobody show him the internet...

Seriously though I think they will become interchangeable (they already are in spoken English) and most of the time we understand exactly what's meant via context.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
So, there's this:

fashion_police_and_grammar_police.png

And, since I decided some time ago that 'Grammar Nazi' is a negative term I don't want to associate myself with (though I can get a little pedantic at times), I've decided that I'd rather call myself a 'Grammarian' instead.

I've also come to realize that the very nature of the English language is change, so, must as it grates on me at times, I really shouldn't get too uptight over the changing of meanings, spellings, et al.

I shall continue to edit my stuff more in-line with the 'official' rules, but part of the art of writing is knowing when and how to break the rules for best effect.

Hi, this is my first post on this forum but I just wanted to let you know that the term you're probably looking for is prescriptivist.

In linguistics there are prescriptivists who hold every rule sacred and descriptivists who believe that language needs to adapt to the time that we live in.

However, I can't tell you if the term prescriptivists predates the term grammar Nazi and I do apologize.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones