• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gsmart rom flash HELP!

kiwiscole

Nov 12, 2011
I have a G1310... or rather I have a Cherry Mobile Orbit, which is a G1310, only it was sold prior to the G1310's release to a test market in the Philippeans.

Cherry mobile are not big on updates, and I'd really like to load the latest G1310 Rom version on my phone.

I have the update.zip file (from Gsmart), but the Orbit wont accept it, as its model number doesn't match.

What can I do to get the G1310 update.zip onto my phone?

i got this in here TipidCP.com | Cherry Mobile Orbit Users Please come in!

Moving your Cherry Mobile Orbit to a Gigabyte Gsmart G1310 ROM (Instructions could potentially work with Stellar to G1345 as well)

DISCLAIMER: DOING THIS PROCEDURE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE ON WHATEVER HAPPEN TO YOUR PHONE,BUT I WILL TO THE BEST OF MY TIME & EFFORT HELP.

Pre-requisites

-A fully Rooted Unit (for this guide it would Be Cherry Mobile Orbit), refer to previous postings on how to get this done
-Root file Explorer or any similar tool (I used ES Explorer)
-Latest Gigabyte ROM from <click here for link> (Used "GSmart _G1310_V0.50.1_PL_CZ")

1.) Open up your Root File explorer tool and make sure it has full superuser permissions (Es Explorer>Settings>Root Explorer checked) so that you will be able to modify 2 files that we would be doing later on.
2.) We need to modify 2 files on your unit "/System/build.prop" & "/system/etc/sw_ver.txt"

For "/system/etc/sw_ver.txt" we need to modify the line "BUILD_SW_PROJ=" to indicate the proper build coming from the new ROM.

E.g. For Cherry Mobile Orbit

From this
BUILD_SW_PROJ=Orbit​

To this
BUILD_SW_PROJ=PL_CZ​

For "/System/build.prop" we need to modify quite a number of variables to match Official Gigabyte ROM Brand Model coming from the new ROM.

E.g. For Cherry Mobile Orbit

From this

ro.product.model=Orbit
ro.product.brand=CherryMobile
ro.product.name=Orbit
ro.product.device=Orbit
ro.build.product=Orbit
ro.build.description=Orbit-user..............
ro.build.fingerprint=CherryMobile/Orbit/Orbit/..............

To this

ro.product.model=GSmart G1310
ro.product.brand=GSmart
ro.product.name=G1310
ro.product.device=G1310
ro.build.product=G1310
ro.build.description=G1310-user..............
ro.build.fingerprint=GSmart/G1310/G1310/..............

NOTE: multiple dots on the line means succeeding characters were left unmodified

3.) After successfully modifying & saving the 2 files follow the regular ROM upgrade procedure <click here for link> for your new ROM.

4.)Potentially you can still go back to the Official Cherry Mobile ROM just by reversing the process in case you need to do it for warranty purposes.

Upvote 0
to be more exact, I can see when I try to update the rom, this is what I can see that is a problem

Current System version:
Model:
Software: 0.26.0 build .124.1294#PL_CZ
...and so on

the model is blank. This is after all the changes made.

When I check the file modified, it reads GSmart G1310. Why is the phone not reading the model name?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones