• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] How to bypass Sprint proxies

but does this actually work? I have been told the speed throttle is done at the tower. But then that is just what I heard. It could be the wrong information. Has anyone gotten this to work? I am capped right now at 30kbps.. :(

Edit: I got into my service menu of ( LG Optimus F3 ) but I did not see the features listed above. When I click Edit? It showed my phone #.. Then I clicked OK.. Then it came up with MSID # 0000000000000..

Upvote 0
but does this actually work? I have been told the speed throttle is done at the tower. But then that is just what I heard. It could be the wrong information. Has anyone gotten this to work? I am capped right now at 30kbps.. :(

OK, let's be clear - the point of bypassing the Sprint proxies is to improve throughput for better services.

If you have trouble streaming audio, this is the same exact fix that the Sprint techs will do.

On that, it works really great and smoothes out all sorts of stuff.

But as a way to defeat carrier throttling?

Others have made that claim and still others argue that it doesn't work.

This really works for what it's intended to fix. Nothing more so far as I understand.

Upvote 0
I just received a text from virgin mobile saying I have used 85% of my data. I found your thread, used an app to retrieve my msl. I followed all the steps, and everything is set to what you have posted. So i will let you know in the next day or so what kind of results i get. Ive never checked my speeds, but i never have problems streaming until i get throttled, so Im sure my area gets good speeds. Thanks for the info, and am praying that it works. I consider my phone pretty much worthless for data use after I get throttled. I have the HTC EVO 3D rooted, Hboot 1.58 . running the Negalite rom

UPDATE:

This process worked, until i shut my phone down.. I did the process over today and all of the settings were saved except the Rev. tunneling was set back to enabled. I put it back to disabled and Im getting throttled speeds. If there is any way to avoid this on my next bill cycle that would be great. I Regret shutting down my phone, after they throttle its basically worthless to me.

Upvote 0
Legal Notice: I'm not a lawyer but I think that this is legal and does not violate the August 1st TOS and you can call and tell'll change the setting for you or give you the code. Use this guide at your own risk.

Hi Everyone,

I found this very simple trick to bypass Sprint/VirginMobile's throttling and it removes any throttles including the 256KBPS throttle after using 2.5GB. You will need your MSL code you'll need to call and keep asking for it. (I got a reasonable person on the 3rd try).

-----------------------------------------------

Type ##data# from dialer (you won't need to press call)

Click Edit

Find your Rev.Tunning Setting,
Reverse tunnel preferred : disable

Look through the menus for your DSS Settings,
DSS proxy server IP Address : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
DSS proxy server Port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Look through the menus for your HTTPD/RSTP Proxies (advanced/multimedia),
RSTP proxy ip : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
RSTP proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"
HTTPD proxy IP : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
HTTPD proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Reboot your phone... You have now removed throttling...
I don't have the httpd on my phone. Is there a way to find it? I did everything but the httpd & I'm still throttled

Upvote 0
I followed all the steps here. After the phone rebooted, the settings appear to have been saved. Normal connections (websites and such) seem to be working fine, but P2P connections still don't seem to be working.

I'm on Sprint (HTC One M8), rooted running I forget which ROM of the top of my head, but it's essentially stock.

Are there any other steps I should be taking to make P2P work?

Upvote 0
Ah, sorry, there was another thread with the same settings changes that would fix a JPEG reprocessing issue. Something is going on where JPEGs are being reprocessed to a lower quality; classic proxy behavior. I was hoping bypassing the proxy would fix it, but either the settings aren't changing anything, or the issue is somewhere else.

Upvote 0
Ah, sorry, there was another thread with the same settings changes that would fix a JPEG reprocessing issue. Something is going on where JPEGs are being reprocessed to a lower quality; classic proxy behavior. I was hoping bypassing the proxy would fix it, but either the settings aren't changing anything, or the issue is somewhere else.
You do need for most jpegs to be downsampled to fit the MMS limit if it's that.

I let Textra handle that for me fwiw.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
MMS, the texting thing? This is for images from websites.
Ah, yeah, then all bets are off, I thought you were going somewhere else, obviously.

I recently did a +10 MB jpeg image download from a NASA site (as in, display, then press to save) - crashed most of my browsers and my phone once but when I did get it to work, it was fine.

The new Sprint phones only have the RTSP proxy, they've finally dropped the HTTP one.

Silly as the RTSP proxy can mess up audio streaming.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I have S6 edge+ and when i go into the ##data# menu (after input msl) the songs for rev tunneling are greyed out and i can't make any changes. I can change everything else but not this. Does anyone know of another way to change the setting? If so it may be possible to create a widget or shortcut to do so on the fly.

Upvote 0
@akmsr where was the "useragent switcher"?
In the browser settings or is it one of the ## menus #?
I didnt see it in the ##'s
I figured it. In the stock browser go to the url address bar and clear it. Type "about:debug" and then return/enter. Open up browser settings, select debug, then select UAString. Choose user agent you want, then exit settings. For general FYI, while in settings uncheck java console (if not using) to keep full screen.
Screenshot_2015-10-21-02-11-10.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Legal Notice: I'm not a lawyer but I think that this is legal and does not violate the August 1st TOS and you can call and tell'll change the setting for you or give you the code. Use this guide at your own risk.

Hi Everyone,

I found this very simple trick to bypass Sprint/VirginMobile's throttling and it removes any throttles including the 256KBPS throttle after using 2.5GB. You will need your MSL code you'll need to call and keep asking for it. (I got a reasonable person on the 3rd try).

-----------------------------------------------

Type ##data# from dialer (you won't need to press call)

Click Edit

Find your Rev.Tunning Setting,
Reverse tunnel preferred : disable

Look through the menus for your DSS Settings,
DSS proxy server IP Address : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
DSS proxy server Port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Look through the menus for your HTTPD/RSTP Proxies (advanced/multimedia),
RSTP proxy ip : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
RSTP proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"
HTTPD proxy IP : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
HTTPD proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Reboot your phone... You have now removed throttling...

I followed each step... But there was no HTTPD settings under the advanced menu.

Also after committing the settings it reboots and the reverse tunnel preferred setting reverts to enabled.

I am trying to fix Minecraft PE refusing to connect over Sprint data... I can connect from so many other providers and devices but my M9 and Tab 4 on Sprint simply refuse to.

Was this updated again for Android 5+ devices?

Upvote 0
Are there any risks if I attempt this and it is successful? Also if I attempt this and it is not successful? Carrier is Virgin and device is an LG tribute 2. My goal is to have unthrottled data speeds once my data is capped. I have read that this is not intended for this purpose in some comments.. Then in other comments it's saying they had the same intentions I did and it was successful. Sorry to be so complex with so many questions. But I would like a little more information before I even attempt this. This seems like a well put together forum. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones