• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] ***How-To Root Using rwilco12's One-Click Repack Kernel & SuperUser***

Updated cautions and important notes in the second post.

Feel free to post your feedback, results, experiences, etc to better inform everyone in this section, and I will update the notes accordingly :) This is everyone's thread and input will help others who have just bought the device and are new to rooting.

My main goal is to prevent someone from bricking their device; caution is important.

I know some, including myself, have willingly taken risks with this recovery and have learned some lessons. Feel free to post those here, or even PM me with suggestions on additions or revisions to the guide.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to let everyone know that I just discovered there is a bug with this Agats repack kernel that wont let you move apps 2 SD but on any ROM if you flash Stock Kernel then you should be able to move apps 2 SD. This bug is known and confirmed by users of this recovery/kernel on the Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S2) for Sprint as well.

When trying to move apps to sd you will see "Unable to move app".

I will add this to the important notes.

EDIT: This bug was apparently on the Epic 4G Touch on Sprint running Ginerbread ONLY AFTER using this Agats kernel/recovery but the bug is also reported on the stock ICS ota update for the same phone. So I'm actually not sure if it is the Agats recovery causing the bug or if it is an ICS issue. Can someone running stock that has not yet rooted tell me what happens when you try to move an app to sd from the applications screen? This will help narrow down where the issue I am experiencing is originating from. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can someone running stock that has not yet rooted tell me what happens when you try to move an app to sd from the applications screen? This will help narrow down where the issue I am experiencing is originating from. Thanks![/B]

I just rooted last night, but I can confirm that before I rooted, I was not able to move any apps to my sd card. It just gave me an error saying "unable to move app."

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
I just rooted last night, but I can confirm that before I rooted, I was not able to move any apps to my sd card. It just gave me an error saying "unable to move app."

Okay, thanks. I just tried to "Force Move App to SD" with Titanium Backup. It showed successful, but app was still on internal and did not move to the internal mass storage (internal ad) or external storage. Hm. Seems Samsung has issues with moving apps with ICS because the Reverb will not move apps either. They can be moved if you modify the system.
Either way, now we know its not the repack kernel causing this. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Okay, thanks. I just tried to "Force Move App to SD" with Titanium Backup. It showed successful, but app was still on internal and did not move to the internal mass storage (internal ad) or external storage. Hm. Seems Samsung has issues with moving apps with ICS because the Reverb will not move apps either. They can be moved if you modify the system.
Either way, now we know its not the repack kernel causing this. Thanks for your input.

No problem! I just got my VM GalaxyS2 a few days ago and after many apple products and plenty of experience with jailbreaking, it is my first android phone so although i understand the concept of rooting, I am still very inexperienced with the process. From what I've gathered, rooting methods are pretty specific to particular models of phones.. As far as the Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 goes, would this be a good thread to keep my eyes on for updates and such? Thanks!

Upvote 0
For this rooting method, yes.

The All Things Root section for this device would be a good place to keep your eyes on for further development such as new recoveries being built for this device (ClockworkMod, TWRP, etc) overclocking kernels, new rooting methods (for those who have not yet rooted using this thread's method) and of course.. ROMs :)
And for general topics related to the Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2, keep an eye on http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-4g/

Being new to Android, you will find that the great thing about this place is there's always help from others and many who are willing to share their discoveries and answer any questions. AndroidForums has been a lifesaver for me many times.

Yeah, all phones seem to have different methods of rooting with some being harder than others. The LG Optimus V and the Motorola Triumph were rooted very easily by simply installing an APK (application) which didn't even require the use of a computer. This phone as well as the HTC Evo V 4G require a whole different method with the HTC Evo V being a little bit more time consuming than this device. Of course, the end result is always the same: Root access ;)

Reactions: Thofkes
Upvote 0
Big thanks to Britton for his work so far and to the all the devs who plan to provide some fun ROMS and toys for the phone!

I had some battery drain issues with my phone since it came out of the box, but has gotten progressively and significantly better with time. I started a new thread here, since I don't want to clog up this thread.

I'll keep it updated with my notes, I'm not soliciting help (though it is welcome if any of you more knowledgeable folk have some good info), I'm simply posting to provide some info so that others are aware of the problem.

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
I just moved one of my apps to the sd card (built in storage). So it successfully freed up space in the APK partition (2GB is allocated).

I appeared to successfully move an app to sd with Titanium Backup. Titanium gave the confirmation that it completed successfully but after looking further it didn't move it. I am on stock rom. The internal memory should change some. Also, to test if it really moved the app, mount your USB storage to your computer and see if the moved app still works. If it does work, then it is still on internal.

(I figure you know this info, just posting this for other's sake.)

Upvote 0
***How-To Root Using a One-Click Kernel and SuperUser***

Please read this entire post before proceeding.

These instructions are specific to the Virgin Mobile Galaxy S2 4G (will also work on Sprint's version of the Galaxy S2, Epic 4G Touch or SPH-D710). Although similar methods may work with other phones this method requires the use of a kernel that IS NOT compatible with any other phone but the Sprint/Virgin Mobile's Samsung Galaxy S2. If you do not have the Sprint or Virgin Mobile Galaxy S2 please DO NOT follow this method for gaining Root access it WILL brick your phone!

This method will trigger the Yellow Triangle upon start-up and will increase your Odin count. It will also change your startup screen to look like the International GS2 startup screen. This is normal and can be fixed!

For instructions to clear the Odin count and remove the yellow triangle please look at the XDA thread for the Triangle Away app found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1494114

The Triangle Away app has been confirmed to work on this phone by a significant number of users. It is free to XDA users via the link but I highly recommend purchasing the app from the Google Play Store to support the hours of work spent creating the app for the community. It is a nice way to give back and to show your appreciate for benefiting from their hard work.

This method uses an Odin One-Click Kernel to install a kernel that includes a Custom Recovery. Once booted into the Custom Recovery you can then flash Superuser which will root your phone and give you Superuser access.

INSTRUCTIONS:

First, make sure you have installed Samsung USB drivers here:
Samsung Galaxy S2 4G USB Drivers:
Sprint_L710_GSIII_Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe

1. Download the following:

One-Click kernel (Agat63's tFI03 Repack Kernel) here:
tFI03_Agats_Recovery.exe
SuperUser 3.07 ZIP here:
Superuser_3.0.7.zip

2. Place the SuperUser 3.07 ZIP on your phone's SD card.

3. Open the tFI03_Agats_Recovery.exe file (by double-clicking on your PC).
Once the tFI03_Agats_Recovery.exe file is opened you will be presented with a window that has a black title bar across the top, several empty boxes and a Start button.
Leave the screen up but do nothing else here for now.

4. Reboot your phone into Download/Odin Mode by holding down the Power and Volume Down buttons.

5. When prompted press the Volume Up key to continue.

6. Plug your USB cord into your phone and then plug the other end of the cord into an available USB slot.
Once the phone is plugged in you should see one of the white boxes on the tFI03_Agats_Recovery.exe One-Click program turn yellow.

7. Press Start on the tFI03_Agats_Recovery.exe One-Click program.

If the flash is successful your phone will now reboot. This will take slightly longer than usual, this is normal. Please note that there will be no boot animation, please be patient while your phone reboots.

You are now running your new kernel with custom recovery!

Now, for the rooting process:

8. After the phone has completely rebooted power off.

9. Hold down Power and Volume Up to boot into Recovery.

10. Scroll down to "wipe cache partition" and press power.

11. Scroll down to "Yes - Wipe Cache" and press power.

12. Scroll down to "advanced" and press power.

13. Scroll down to "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and press power.

14. Scroll down to "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache" and press power.

15. Scroll down to "+++++Go Back+++++" and press power.

16. Select either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from external sdcard" (depending on where you've saved SuperUser 3.07 ZIP in Step 2) and navigate to the SuperUser 3.07 ZIP and press power.

17. Scroll down to "Yes - Install .zip" and press power.

18. Scroll down to "+++++Go Back+++++" and press power.

19. Select reboot menu then press power. Verify "reboot system" is highlighted and press power.
Congratulations you are now rooted! Enjoy!

Note: The boot screen will have a yellow triangle (see above for info on how to remove)
You will see "Android is upgrading" progress bar upon first boot. This is normal.

Thanks to chri81 for confirming this root method and sharing it with the community! :)

Also, thanks to rwilco12 whose guide this is thread is based. It can be found here:
Rwilco12's Android Repository

Why not link directly to the content creator? This is a really a good copy and paste job.

Upvote 0
Why not link directly to the content creator? This is a really a good copy and paste job.

The original link was given in another general thread and because there were questions about the exact root process for our phone, myself (and several others in the community) decided it would be best to post directions specific to our device. This guide includes the original links as well as credits and thanks. This thread was basically to make minor clarifications for Virgin Mobile users.

I gave credits to everyone due.

Most importantly.. If rwilco12 would like to create a thread here in place of mine, I would be very happy. I do not own this root method, the kernel, or the recovery and I feel it would be more appropriate for him to post his own thread here and I am extremely thankful to him for his hard work. Until that does happen, I figured this guide would be a way to help those who have problems rooting with his method while also giving him credit for his hard work.

Reactions: rwilco12
Upvote 0
Update on safety by rwilco12 regarding his kernel and recovery with our device:

rwilco12 said:
tFI03 kernel is my main kernel except for when flashing something I myself didn't compile. Whenever I have to flash someone else's zips I always revert back to chris41g's EL26 kernel. All stock repacks still have the EMMC cap bug in them and although there are steps taken to prevent the hard brick it could still happen.

As far as kernel compatibility. All kernels on my site are 100% compatible with the Boost, Sprint and Virgin variants of the S2. In fact the phones are 100% identical as far as hardware goes. The only differences are in software and branding. The same applies to the modems.

Much thanks to him!!! :)

Reactions: rwilco12
Upvote 0
Hey there thanks for all the info I'm not new to modding games consoles and such but fairly new to Android modding. Just had a couple quick questions. should some sort of nand backup be done in there somewhere? if so, when's the best time to do so? Also, would it be okay to use a newer recovery kernel then the 1 you suggested? from : rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/?dir=Kernels/Recovery%20Kernels/ICS/Agats%20Recovery/One-Click Thank you in advance btw this is an excellent phone for $35 a month...... :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones