• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to root your Activa 4G

nm i did removed it now it just goes to the little android guy with a triangle and ! mark dont give me any options to apply update zip from sd card

Don't worry, that's suppose to happen. Go back in to recovery mode. When you do, first press the power button, the menu should then appear. Then use the volume key to navigate up and down, the "apply update from sdcard" is the second choice do press the volume down once. Then, once you've highlighted the "apply update from sdcard" press the camera button, and then press the volume down button (the camera button + the volume down is the "enter" button). Choose the "update.zip", the update should apply. Then scroll up to "reboot system now", press the camera button then the volume down button and your phone will reboot. Update SuperUser from the Play Store. Enjoy ;)

Reactions: ashleyhorton27
Upvote 0
First of all Chrisv24, welcome to Android Forums - great to have you here!

Second, the "root" of the SD card refers to the storage area itself, and not any folders that may be on the card. When you explore the SD card, you would find folders and a few files not in folders. That area - where you cannot go up any more levels - is called the root of the SD card. So when someone says move the file to the root of the card, just know to move it to the card without putting it in any folder.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: chrisv24
Upvote 0
Any ideas on how to do this with a ubuntu linux PC? Or, is there a way to boot this phone into recovery by pressing/holding various buttons on startup? I can access the SD card via USB on my ubuntu box, or I can take it out and put it in a card reader, no problem getting the update.zip file to the SD card. I can make ADB work on my Windows desktop-but I need to be able to do it with my laptop far away from my windows box, at the request of a friend. Thanks in advance for any info anybody may have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones