• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to Run an RUU for your HTC One S

agentc13

Daleks Über Alles
Aug 31, 2011
Skaro
You will need a working adb/fastboot environment and device drivers. If you do not have those already please follow the steps from the first post in this guide: http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-things-root/543328-how-unlock-bootloader-install-recovery-root-your-htc-one-s.html#post4331626 first, otherwise continue on.

Getting the RUU

First of all boot into bootloader and enter the following fastboot commands:

Code:
fastboot devices
in the command prompt (if you get serial number,then proceed). This is just to make sure your computer is recognizing that the phone is connected.
Code:
fastboot getvar all
This is just to make sure we can find the right RUU to match your current hboot/firmware.

You should see something like (some numbers replaced with *):
Code:
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot devices
************    fastboot

C:\sdk-tools>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 1.14.0004
INFOversion-baseband: 1.08ts.50.02.16
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main:
INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
INFOserialno: ************
INFOimei: ***************
INFOproduct: vle
INFOplatform: HBOOT-8960
INFOmodelid: PJ4011000
INFOcidnum: T-MOB010
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4138mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: off
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 8b9e2080
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.075s
Download the RUU that matches your carrier, hboot version, and baseband. If you are S-Off/SuperCID, you can run any RUU. Otherwise it must match those or it will not run. You can find that info in the output of fastboot getvar all from above.

You can find some RUU's for the HTC One S here and here.

Preparing to run the RUU
To run the RUU, here's what you will need to do:
  • Make sure phone is charged to 100%
  • Place phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from hboot menu), plug in via usb.
  • Open a command prompt window, change to android directory (wherever you set this up for adb/fastboot) and enter the following commands (one at a time):
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot oem lock
  • This will lock your bootloader and allow you to run the RUU. The phone will try and reboot, or it will give you a security warning, and lock you into bootloader. Don't worry, this is normal.
Running the RUU
  1. Make sure the HTC drivers you downloaded earlier are installed and working. Do this by connecting your phone to your computer. If your computer detects it, your drivers are working. I recommend staying in fastboot usb mode after entering the commands above, the RUU.exe will detect that and be able to work from fastboot.
  2. Run the RUU.exe (that you downloaded earlier) on the PC as administrator. It takes a few minutes to boot up, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear immediately.
  3. Follow the prompts. It should ask you to ensure your phone is plugged into the computer and that ADB debugging is on. As long as you left it plugged in from earlier you are fine.
  4. The RUU should recognize the phone and start running. Be patient, do not unplug the phone under any circumstances!!

When it finishes, it will reboot, you will be stock again.

Reactions: VSD and Cyber Droid
I would suggest you add a WIPE : system, data, cache + factory reset - for those who are currently on CM10 or other to be on the safe side - i had a error w/ the HOX before doing a RUU restore and i was on CM10.

EDIT : Also you should now be able to download the S4 JB RUU for international (WWE - X.X.401.X) version from here : http://androidfiles.org/ruu/ [i uploaded it, but forgot about this post]

Upvote 0
I would suggest you add a WIPE : system, data, cache + factory reset - for those who are currently on CM10 or other to be on the safe side - i had a error w/ the HOX before doing a RUU restore and i was on CM10.

I haven't had any issues running a RUU with CM10 or the like on my phone. I don't think those steps are necessary. It's possible that there was an issue specific to the One X with that stuff, but I haven't heard of anything or experienced it with the One S.

Reactions: Cyber Droid
Upvote 0
I have TWRP recovery installed, do I have to change back to stock recovery prior to running the commands on fastboot or will the RUU install even with a custom recovery??? Or is relocking the bootloader like you suggested enough?? I'm gonna try this so I just want to be sure!!! Thanks!!

Recovery doesn't matter. The RUU will restore the stock recovery, you just need to relock the bootloader.

Reactions: Cyber Droid
Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused. So can I run any HTC One S RUU, whether or not it matches the HBOOT and Radio and so on?

no. with s on,the ruu you use must meet these requirements:
-same build number on or higher
-same hboot or higher(this will always be true if the first one is)
-same CID. some ruus will flash across multiple CIDs.
-same model id
-be an official,signed-by-htc file

things are further complicated by the fact that ruus starting with JB are encrypted so we cant get in to them. in order to run these ruus,you must allready have a newer hboot in place. i.e.,you need to have OTAed to a JB firmware,or possibly flashed the firmware.zip file from an OTAPkg.zip

s-on is a pain ;)

Upvote 0
s-off literally means security off. the phone does no security checks,so you can run any ruu,regardless if what firmware your phone currently has,with exception of the new encrypted RUUs(anything JB or newer). with thos,you will need to install the new hboot first,then install the ruu,as the old hboot is not cabable of decryting,unpacking,and flashing the newer ones.

as ac13 said,going backwards doesnt do you much good,newer firmware is typically more efficient/better. you no longer need the old hboot,with s off permant recvoery is able to install the boot image,regardless of hboot version :)

Upvote 0
Running the RUU
  1. Make sure the HTC drivers you downloaded earlier are installed and working. Do this by connecting your phone to your computer. If your computer detects it, your drivers are working. I recommend staying in fastboot usb mode after entering the commands above, the RUU.exe will detect that and be able to work from fastboot.
  2. Run the RUU.exe (that you downloaded earlier) on the PC as administrator. It takes a few minutes to boot up, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear immediately.
  3. Follow the prompts. It should ask you to ensure your phone is plugged into the computer and that ADB debugging is on. As long as you left it plugged in from earlier you are fine.
  4. The RUU should recognize the phone and start running. Be patient, do not unplug the phone under any circumstances!!
When it finishes, it will reboot, you will be stock again.[/QUOTE]

I have everything but I'm not able to found RUU.exe. it is not within the file i have download to restore the rom, only .img
please help

Upvote 0
The RUU I found (which I could not find during previous attempts) is titled:
RUU_Ville_U_TELUS_WWE_1.84.661.9_Radio_0.17.31501S.10_2_10.27.31501S.10L_release_265367_signed

My Radio is the correct match, however I'm not sure how to tell if I have the correct HBOOT. My HBOOT is 1.13.0000.

Any help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0
I have an HTC One S on 3

I unlocked, rooted and flashed CyanogenMod 10.1 - which involved flashing the kernel.
I also failed to take a backup before I flashed

So I now have a phone with the following versions:
[HIGH](bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.13.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.11.50.05.28
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:...
(bootloader) imei:...
(bootloader) product: vle
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4010000
(bootloader) cidnum: H3G__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3835mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-26dff973
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done![/HIGH]I now want to unlock the phone from 3 so I can use an 02 sim. I have the unlock code - but I need to go back to factory ROM and unroot.

I can only find two RUUs for H3G
RUU_Ville_U_H3G_UK_1.53.771.4_Radio_0.15.31501S.19_2_10.13.31501S.06L_release_251870_signed.exe
&
RUU_Ville_U_H3G_UK_1.78.771.5_Radio_0.16.31501S.19_2_10.23.31501S.10L_release_258982_signed.exe

As you can see, I'm on a higher radio version!

What should I do? Please.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC One S on 3

I unlocked, rooted and flashed CyanogenMod 10.1 - which involved flashing the kernel.
I also failed to take a backup before I flashed

So I now have a phone with the following versions:
[HIGH](bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.13.0000
(bootloader) serialno: SH23WW400492
(bootloader) imei: 359901045533268
(bootloader) cidnum: H3G__001
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3835mV
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-26dff973
all: Done![/HIGH]I now want to unlock the phone from 3 so I can use an 02 sim. I have the unlock code - but I need to go back to factory ROM and unroot.

I can only find two RUUs for H3G
RUU_Ville_U_H3G_UK_1.53.771.4_Radio_0.15.31501S.19_2_10.13.31501S.06L_release_251870_signed.exe
&
RUU_Ville_U_H3G_UK_1.78.771.5_Radio_0.16.31501S.19_2_10.23.31501S.10L_release_258982_signed.exe

As you can see, I'm on a higher radio version!

What should I do? Please.

you should not need to unroot or run an RUU to simunlock. if it wont prompt you for the unlock code on CM,then just flash a stock rom from recovery,or restore a stock nandroid(i think there is a thread on xda with nandroids you can download and restore)

at this point,you are prolly screwed at being able to run an ruu,unless one of the ones linked contains your hboot,a newer ruu is released,or you set the phone to s off via the moonshine or facepalm tools.

Reactions: darkMavis
Upvote 0
you should not need to unroot or run an RUU to simunlock. if it wont prompt you for the unlock code on CM,then just flash a stock rom from recovery,or restore a stock nandroid(i think there is a thread on xda with nandroids you can download and restore)

at this point,you are prolly screwed at being able to run an ruu,unless one of the ones linked contains your hboot,a newer ruu is released,or you set the phone to s off via the moonshine or facepalm tools.

Thank you for quick reply.

I'm getting the prompt for the unlock code, but the code doesn't work. It's a legit code, because I've got the same code from two different sources (one from a vendor, one from the algorithm run against the seed number stored on the phone)

I'll give those options a go. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
A month ago or so I flashed my One S with the Avatar rom, using the cyanogen guide.

Now I miss my original rom and want the excelent batery time back, not to mention that I want to turn off Beats (it's driving me nuts...)

So I tried running thrugh your guide and I ran the RUU named HTC Europe and something...

In any case I recived a failure and restored it to its previous state. Then I saw something about baseband matching up with the RUU name and found

RUU_Ville_U_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.1_Radio_0.15.31501S.13_3_10.08.31501S.04L_release_250115_signed.exe

would this work when I get the following in CMD:
------------------------
G:\Android\Android>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
(bootloader) serialno: HT23PW406633
(bootloader) imei: [redacted by Mod]
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__Y13
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3803mV
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38
finished. total time: 0.064s
--------------------

Thank you all in advance for any help you might have :)

Upvote 0
A month ago or so I flashed my One S with the Avatar rom, using the cyanogen guide.

Now I miss my original rom and want the excelent batery time back, not to mention that I want to turn off Beats (it's driving me nuts...)

So I tried running thrugh your guide and I ran the RUU named HTC Europe and something...

In any case I recived a failure and restored it to its previous state. Then I saw something about baseband matching up with the RUU name and found

RUU_Ville_U_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.1_Radio_0.15.31501S.13_3_10.08.31501S.04L_release_250115_signed.exe

would this work when I get the following in CMD:
------------------------
G:\Android\Android>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
(bootloader) serialno: HT23PW406633
(bootloader) imei: [redacted by Mod]
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__Y13
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3803mV
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38
finished. total time: 0.064s
--------------------

Thank you all in advance for any help you might have :)
i would venture to guess it will not work. while your phone does not show a main version,the ruu in question prolly has an older hboot than 2.15.

there are unfortunately,many checks being done.

the above is assuming an s on phone. if your s off,all you need to do is change CID to supercid(11111111) or to one that matches the ruu,and then it will flash just fine.with super cid and s off,you can run literally any one s ruu that you want.

Upvote 0
Seeing as I was already locked out of the main rom on my phone I decided top give it a try. Installing part went on without a hitch, the only thing that concerns me somewhat is that I get a fail message when I try to update the "personalize" app from HTC.

Also it seems like I posted the wrong RUU here (the one posted was the one I originally tried)

This is the one I used:
RUU_Ville_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.16.401.8_Radio_1.11.50.05.28_10.27.50.08L_release_301814_signed_2_4.exe

Not sure whether or not this is a specific rom for a phone company or if it's a generic HTC rom (the one I originally had was a generic Scandinavian rom for phones without sim lock).

In any case thank you for your help.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot devices
************ fastboot

C:\sdk-tools>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 1.14.0004
INFOversion-baseband: 1.08ts.50.02.16
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main:
INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
INFOserialno: ************
INFOimei: ***************
INFOproduct: vle
INFOplatform: HBOOT-8960
INFOmodelid: PJ4011000
INFOcidnum: T-MOB010
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 3980mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 8b9e2080
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
finished. total time: 0.075s

If my bootloader reads out identical to yours Agentc13 (minus the red changes) then which of the two TMOUS RUUs should I use?

Thanks for this guide btw :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones