• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has Virgin Mobile blocked the tethering apps?

Well, if we did loose hotspot, we couldn't really complain, because its not an advertised feature of the phone.....
True, but it is one of the main reasons I got it. Second only to the cheap no-contract plan. Man, I've wasted lots of gas and time trying to find a decent hotspot to send work related stuff to the office. Now I have another option in out of the city locations.

Upvote 0
What's google got to gain from this?

Advertising revenue, Google's main source of income.

If the carriers get unhappy and stop pushing Android phones, that hurts Google in the end. Happy carriers = more phones sold = more advertising revenue for Google.

Android is a pretty awesome smartphone software stack (OS), but it is ultimately just like Google's other products (Gmail, search, etc.) - an advertising delivery mechanism.

Upvote 0
you have to drag it out of the "hidden options" section above the thick bar to join the other "available icons".

with QuickSettings open. hit the OPTION button on the bottom of the phone where your click buttons are. the click CUSTOMIZE on the options menu. SCROLL down, and you will see HIDDEN SETTINGS. You will see WIFI hotspot. On the slider to the FAR right of the wording, DRAG the hotspot icon ABOVE the hidden settings bar....it will appear in the Available options.......

Upvote 0
I have an lg tribute through virgin mobile. I installed quick settings and followed your steps to turn on the hotspot and I get this message. Along with any other tethering/hotspot app I try to download. My phone is not rooted. Is there any way to get around this?:eek:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-06-10-53-21.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-06-10-53-21.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones