• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs [HELP] Are those guides on xda...

D

Deleted User

There are many guides on ROM development in xda. But they seem to old, could they be considered relevant? I'm a senior member at XDA but I came here just to ask this question. Which is better, xda or android forums? Is there anything like senior member, recognised contributor/dev. here? Are there rules like xda? When was this launched?

Welcome to the forum :)

AF has been around for a long time (since 2008 I think). There are rules, which you can find in the Introductions forum (or look here: http://androidforums.com/threads/site-rules-guidelines.704/), but they are a bit different from XDA. In particular this is primarily a user forum, whereas XDA is a developer forum, so we are a lot more forgiving of repeated questions etc than XDA, and the standard XDA answer of "do a search before asking" is not the way we do things here. Some bits are common of course, e.g. neither forum allows discussion of piracy or posting of illegal material.

I'll have to get back to you on titles. There are a few that just relate to number of posts (so "well known member" corresponds roughly to "senior member" at xda). But the forum is going through some major changes, and some of the user groups (titles) have gone in the process, so I'm not 100% sure which still exist.

As for "better", it depends on what you want and what suits you. My personal instinct would still be to look to XDA for development stuff, but I'm not a ROM developer and have never looked into it (I know I don't have time).

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum :)

AF has been around for a long time (since 2008 I think). There are rules, which you can find in the Introductions forum (or look here: http://androidforums.com/threads/site-rules-guidelines.704/), but they are a bit different from XDA. In particular this is primarily a user forum, whereas XDA is a developer forum, so we are a lot more forgiving of repeated questions etc than XDA, and the standard XDA answer of "do a search before asking" is not the way we do things here. Some bits are common of course, e.g. neither forum allows discussion of piracy or posting of illegal material.

I'll have to get back to you on titles. There are a few that just relate to number of posts (so "well known member" corresponds roughly to "senior member" at xda). But the forum is going through some major changes, and some of the user groups (titles) have gone in the process, so I'm not 100% sure which still exist.

As for "better", it depends on what you want and what suits you. My personal instinct would still be to look to XDA for development stuff, but I'm not a ROM developer and have never looked into it (I know I don't have time).
So, does it mean that this a more like a question-to-answer community, rather than dev. project submitting community. Sorry to ask this but, when was xda launched. Which community has more users, xda or android forums?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones