• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Flip 3 and hearing aids

Al Santini

Lurker
Oct 22, 2022
I started wearing hearing aids in April of 2022. The Bluetooth feature made them perfect for me. However, in August something changed in the phone that caused the hearing aid battery life (rechargeable) to go from 18 hours to 12 with the left aid. The hearing aid company replaced the battery with no change. Then they replaced the hearing aids with no change. Does anyone know what changed and how to reverse it? I think I need to change how Bluetooth functions and what it transfers to the hearing aids. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Al

The aids are still very functional just for a greatly reduced time period. Again, I am looking for something that "turned on" in the android system that is causing the battery drain. It is the part of the android system that is causing the aid to draw more current.

Maybe a codec got changed, and that's causing the decreased battery life? Try looking in the Developer settings for Bluetooth devices. and see if there's any options for codecs and/or device control there.

Upvote 0
I have a S21 Ultra that worked flawlessly with my ReSound aids prior to the Android 12 update. My aid's associated app links a page declaring there is a known issue between 12 and Samsung devices. I've not noticed a decrease in battery life but there is an issue with streaming. I don't know if the questionable compatibility between Samsung and 12 is your battery draining culprit but something you might investigate.

Something you might check is under accessibility in your phone settings. Make certain that under hearing enhancements that hearing aid support is enabled and compatibility is on and your aids show up as a connected device.

When I initially set up my aids to use BLE (blue tooth low energy) I married aids to phone using the associated app from the play store for my aids. I recently had one aid replaced and my audiologist once again used the app to connect the new aid to my phone. I'm not certain that my aids can be connected to my phone without using the app. You might check to see if your BLE connection is solid.

The big question to me is why your left aid suddenly consumes more battery than the right even after being replaced. My rechargeable aids don't drain at the same rate. I asked my audiologist what might be the cause and her response was that I required a great deal more assistance from my right aid. I can accept that as a reason. However, in your case, I'm assuming that there was not a major change in your prescription in August.

I wish I had more to offer. I both love and hate my aids. :) I would love for the tech to work better than it does. They are called aids for a reason. I hope that you can solve your battery draining issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones